Which cory for beeding project?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ctbestfisherman

AC Members
Mar 22, 2009
Connecticut
Just wondering which species of cories I should try and breed, this will be my first time so something not too difficult. They will be in a 20g long with a small school of harlies.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The anaeus like the albino's are an easy cory to start with. I think the peppered cories are easy as well.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Aeneus and paleatus are perfect and the first ones I spawned as well. Since then, I've added a dozen names to that list and loved every minute of it.

I would put them in a species tank though for better results.

Bob

shinyfish

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
C. Aeneus was the first egg layer I spawned purposely.

Everything pretty much went according to plan.

The spawns were lower egg count then most say you should get, only about 20-30 for me, however, I only conditioned them for about one week. They all spawned within a few days of each other so I have been able to raise multiple spawns at the same time.

During that time I fed them pretty much as much as they would eat 4 times a day, at least one of those feedings being bloodworm.

Then I did a large cool water change every day. Which caused them to start spawning.

So far the fry are 1.5 weeks old and are doing very well. Has not been much special effort to raise them. The technique I used was rinsing out filter mesh to get as much mulm in the bottom of the fry tank as possible. after 1-2 days of using there egg yolk I let them eat off the mulm for a couple days. Then I started to provide some powered flakes/pellets/whatever else I had + a constant supply of microworms in the water. I have been doing a 20%ish water change every day without vacuuming the bottom. As far as I can tell I have not lost a single fry.

REDKAHUNA

AC Members
Mar 4, 2009
MARYLAND
Must agree with all of you Aeneus by far the simplest to breed. Pepper/ paleateus also very easy C.Schultzei again easy. If you purchase any tank breed tank raised cories they also will be easier to breed than wild caught. If you need any help just PM me thats all I do is breed cories. 138 tanks 47 type including cousins like aspidoras also not to hard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store