which is better, frozen brine or mysis shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
thks all for the feedback, very informative!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just in Sub's defense, however, I do see what he's saying. Although brine shrimp don't compare to Mysis in overall nutrition, they still have their place. Brine shrimp are a source of protein, provide color enhancement, act as a laxative and entice many finicky fish to feed. It's perfectly fine to use brine shrimp as a treat food. (Especially live brine shrimp.) Personally, I wouldn't bother with frozen.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
For saltwater fish I'd rank Krill and Mysis at the top, then Daphnia and Brine.
Pacifica Plankton and lobster eggs are also excellent marine foods.

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
For saltwater fish I'd rank Krill and Mysis at the top, then Daphnia and Brine.
Pacifica Plankton and lobster eggs are also excellent marine foods.
Thinking more freshwater... I am moving towards Africans and I am cutting fat/too much protein from the diet..

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd go with spirulina and brine, then.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
is it possible the gray shrimpettes I found in my live rocks ae mysis shrimp?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
I just ordered from dr f&s frozen packs of mysis, brine with spirulina & bloodworms. if you order 6 or more mix n match get quantity discount. but shipping is $25 so must order quantity to spread the cost around.

SW tank, 1/2 the fish love the mysis, but my new clownfishes & one butterfly still refuse to eat. I fear the worst.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
With the flat rate shipping on food from them, I tend to order a year's supply at a time to get the most out of the shipping cost as I can. I also see if anyone locally wants to order any at the same time to cut their shipping costs.

I'm surprised your clownfish won't eat it. All the clownfish I have will eat any type of fish food I throw in the tank. Give it a little time, and perhaps try mixing some of the mysis shrimp in with the food you were feeding them previously. If that doesn't work, you may want to look into a food additive, such as Selcon, to help entice them into eating the mysis.

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
With the flat rate shipping on food from them, I tend to order a year's supply at a time to get the most out of the shipping cost as I can. I also see if anyone locally wants to order any at the same time to cut their shipping costs.

I'm surprised your clownfish won't eat it. All the clownfish I have will eat any type of fish food I throw in the tank. Give it a little time, and perhaps try mixing some of the mysis shrimp in with the food you were feeding them previously. If that doesn't work, you may want to look into a food additive, such as Selcon, to help entice them into eating the mysis.

If only Columbia were closer to Pawley's....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store