which loaches have the spines under their eyes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
please remind me, i can't remember which loaches have the spines under their eyes. thanks.

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
pangios? i have pangio oblongas, black khulis. do they have them?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, their genus used to be called acanthopthalmus = "thorn eyes". I've only ever seen a loach spine on 1 of my clowns 1 time. He wasn't fighting, more of just a stretch

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
wow. so, do you think that black khulis would be in danger of getting eaten by a peacock eel? the peacocks dont get huge like the tire tracks and fire eels. i ask cause i have thought i might not get one cause it might eat my khulis. but if the little buggars will be safe i might get one. what do yall think? anybody ever kept peacocks?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Agreed, most all species have spines under the eye.

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
"spiny eels" as they are called have very tiny mouths for their body size. and iv never kept a peacock spiny eel to adulthood, i dont know how big the mouth of an adult gets, which is why i asked about personal experience, i was hoping to get someone who has seen first hand just what an adult eel is capable of. it might be perfectly fine, it might not be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store