Which of these fish are/arent colorblind?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Pleco - common bushynose plecostamus
german ram
cockatoo cichlid
cuckoo catfish
petricola catfish
betta, fm & m
Asian bumblebee catfish
guppies
celestial pearl danio
yellow lab mbuna
otocinclus
firegreen tetra
discus
sp unkown but in genus of rhinogobius
silver hatchetfish
indonesian datnoid
dwarf shrimp
julii cories
peacock gudgeon

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Why do you ask?

I doubt anyone here has the answer for all of those fish, or that anyone will research them all for you. Google is probably your best bet.

A quick look suggests that most fish are colorblind, and that many fishermen believe otherwise. I'd stick to scientifically tested data if you want to know for sure.

Good luck!

spudjnr123

AC Members
Apr 3, 2006
Vacaville, CA
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Taylor
Camera Used
Nikon D610
While I can't tell you for certain which, if any of those fish are/aren't colorblind, I can reply to Ptrick125 re:
I'm interested about how people know fish are colorblind...
So, color, as you know is simply perceived when the rods and cones in our eyes are excited by photons. Humans have a large collection of both, and the various colors we see are merely our mind's ability to perceive the differences in excitation level. However, animals, like dogs for instance, have many more rods than cones which scientists believe leads to more black and white and red vision.

For an example of how your cones work, turn off all the lights, walk outside and wait for your eyes to adjust. Once you can see partially outside, look using just your peripheral vision, you'll notice you can see more to the sides than you can straight in front, and that it is slightly warmer in tone. That is because in humans, our, less-sensitive yet color-seeing cones are at their highest concentration around the optical nerve in the center, while our much more sensitive, yet colorblind, rods are more concentrated towards the outer periphery.

A scientist can therefore look at the types of cells found on the retina of most organisms and can assume, based on the concentrations of rods and cones, what colors an animal can see. For fish, I would assume color sensitivity is not a particularly important trait, so much as contrast sensitivity is, but if we examine the various colors of fish we realize there must be a reason for this evolutionary trait. My best hypothesis is this: fish are probably mostly colorblind with the exceptions of reds.

Your science lesson for the day...:dance:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Pleco - common bushynose plecostamus
german ram
cockatoo cichlid
cuckoo catfish
petricola catfish
betta, fm & m
Asian bumblebee catfish
guppies
celestial pearl danio
yellow lab mbuna
otocinclus
firegreen tetra
discus
sp unkown but in genus of rhinogobius
silver hatchetfish
indonesian datnoid
dwarf shrimp
julii cories
peacock gudgeon
only the CIA and the KGB know more than the answer to any 3 of those. within 48 hours of obtaining knowledge of the ocular perception capabilities of more than 2 aquatic species, people mysteriously disappear. a phenomenon commonly referred to as "if i tell you, i have to kill you". or so my research suggests. i've already said too much.

spudjnr123

AC Members
Apr 3, 2006
Vacaville, CA
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Taylor
Camera Used
Nikon D610
only the CIA and the KGB know more than the answer to any 3 of those. within 48 hours of obtaining knowledge of the ocular perception capabilities of more than 2 aquatic species, people mysteriously disappear. a phenomenon commonly referred to as "if i tell you, i have to kill you". or so my research suggests. i've already said too much.

+1 HAHAHAHAHAHA ok, so if everyone only researches two, and just blacks out the reply with spoiler tags, then only the OP will know and will have obtained the knowledge before disappearing, then for the sake of public safety all research should be deleted from this thread.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
then we'd lose RB in a silly little game of cat and mouse. then all the mods would have to be big old meanies enforcing the rules. we wouldn't want that. i hear one of them has a twitchy ban finger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store