Which setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I have researched and planned for a dwarf puffer 10 gal planted with a sponge filter. I also just thought about some of the shell dwelling cichlids recently and did a little research. Would a sponge filter work? I don't like the look of HOB filters and I want something quiet and the equipment to be minimally visible. (The sponge filter would be hidden)

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I don't know where to start and I want to stay in a low price range. Do you have any recommendations? Also, this will probably go down by vote so which one do you guys prefer?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I have heard some people really like those rapids canisters. I haven't ever used one, but if I had a small tank like you and didn't want a HOB I would certainly consider using one over a sponge filter. I guess you could hide a sponge filter in the back corner, but I can't imagine it would be much more hidden than that canister filter.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Smaller tanks have less space for filters. Canister would probably be a good bet, though i do not trust them.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Nothings wrong with a good quality canister. I made the mistake of picking up one of those for my desk aquarium about 5 years ago. The cheap thing broke and leaked all over my desk.

Seriously look at a slightly larger but higher quality filter. Marineland H.O.T. series or some of the smaller models Ehiem. They might cost more but they last fo a long time and don't leak.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
A sponge filter is your best low budget bet. If the tank is heavily planted you are good to go. If not, just do a good sized like 50% water change once a week, no problem with a small tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store