White and brown fluff growing on my java fern

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fionap91

AC Members
Sep 19, 2016
7.0 to 7.5 is a big difference, 5x different in fact. pH should be as stable as possible. At what times have you gotten such different pH readings?

Sorry I meant it sits between that range. Somewhere in the middle of 7 and 7.5.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Than

Thank you that's all very helpful and you really sound like you know your stuff!

The lights are usually on from about 6am to 9pm.
As that is when my partner leaves the house for work and then goes up on a night time.
Shall we reduced this maybe to 6-6 or 6-9 as he arrives home from work at 6pm.

Thank you again for all your help.
You're welcome!
That is a very long light cycle. Reducing that should help tremendously with any algae issue. You should get a simple timer like this (Timer). Set it to run for 6 to 8 hours. If he wants to see the plants when he leaves for work AND when it gets home just set it to come on at 6am and off at 10am, back on at 6pm to 10pm. Or something like that. Since you light cycle is SO long you ferns might do a little adjusting when you switch the light schedule but they should be fine.

Sorry I meant it sits between that range. Somewhere in the middle of 7 and 7.5.
What test kit are you using? Is it strips or liquid?

Reactions: fishorama

fionap91

AC Members
Sep 19, 2016
You're welcome!
That is a very long light cycle. Reducing that should help tremendously with any algae issue. You should get a simple timer like Set it to run for 6 to 8 hours. If he wants to see the plants when he leaves for work AND when it gets home just set it to come on at 6am and off at 10am, back on at 6pm to 10pm. Or something like that. Since you light cycle is SO long you ferns might do a little adjusting when you switch the light schedule but they should be fine.

What test kit are you using? Is it strips or liquid?

Fab I will do! Thank you.

Liquid jbl.

I've also run jbl against api liquid kit too and they come out almost identical.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store