White "Cotton" On Corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I put a new Koralia 1 and a Rio Nano skimmer in the tank last night, this morning I find that my frogspawn and hammer don't come out all huge like they usually do.

I see a white looking almost shrimp or cottonball thing sticking out of each of them.

Whats wrong with my corals?

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
In the rio nano skimmer book it asks you to thoroughly clean the skimmer before use... I have one on my 15g, and you could be pissing off the corals with the new current. Make sure there isn't to much current on them.. I use korallia 1 aswell :)
I've seen corals let out little strings and stuff that looks slimey almost, usualy if it is from there mouth its a mucus net to catch food... or could be something like vermetid gastro or some sort of critters doing there own and the coral happens to be in the way. thats the only things I could think of.. unless yuou have other corals letting off mucus with stingers that might have irriated it.... anyways hope all this helps.

Last edited:

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
In the rio nano skimmer book it asks you to thoroughly clean the skimmer before use... I have one on my 15g, and you could be pissing off the corals with the new current. Make sure there isn't to much current on them.. I use korallia 1 aswell :)
I've seen corals let out little strings and stuff that looks slimey almost, usualy if it is from there mouth its a mucus net to catch food... or could be something like vermetid gastro or some sort of critters doing there own and the coral happens to be in the way. thats the only things I could think of.. unless yuou have other corals letting off mucus with stingers that might have irriated it.... anyways hope all this helps.
Thanks, I will get a picture for this thread.

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Here's the white thing I'm talking about. It just ripped off from being let out too far and the current took it away. It's now floating around my tank and I'm trying to catch it but it went under the rocks and is gone :(

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
That dosnt look to bad.. and if it floated away I wouldnt chase it.. not much you could do with it at that point other than remove so it dosnt land on some anemone or coral.. The coral looks irritated to be honest.. but if you just added new current it takes time for the coral to become used to it.. If it hasnt adjusted by tomorrow I'd move the current and add some coral food.. Though some hard corals produce there own food it is good to add it. I use DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton(refrigerated).. It dosnt need to be added every week like suggested and I do half the suggested ammount.. Anyways don't sweat that coral looks sexy, just getting used to the new current and may be hungry :)

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
That dosnt look to bad.. and if it floated away I wouldnt chase it.. not much you could do with it at that point other than remove so it dosnt land on some anemone or coral.. The coral looks irritated to be honest.. but if you just added new current it takes time for the coral to become used to it.. If it hasnt adjusted by tomorrow I'd move the current and add some coral food.. Though some hard corals produce there own food it is good to add it. I use DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton(refrigerated).. It dosnt need to be added every week like suggested and I do half the suggested ammount.. Anyways don't sweat that coral looks sexy, just getting used to the new current and may be hungry :)
Oh, it is sexy :D Just yesterday it looked like this

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
If it helps. the way I adjust my power heads is to not have any dead zones while not directly aimed at any corals. They attack the corners and I made sure each of the corals moves slowly not blowing around like in a windstorm.. my pulsing ones I cant use for reference because they move so much even when the current is off I get confused. :) anyways good luck buddy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store