white film on fish and deaths?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I think I've seen fungus once in 25 years of keeping fish. Columnaris far too often, especially a few years ago when I had liquid rock - 600ppm GH. Many aquarium fish aren't as hardy that far out of their natural range.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
I think I've seen fungus once in 25 years of keeping fish. Columnaris far too often, especially a few years ago when I had liquid rock - 600ppm GH. Many aquarium fish aren't as hardy that far out of their natural range.
so a very high GH will increase the probability of fish getting columnaris? what of ph and kh too?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Not in and of itself.

The more the conditions in the tank differ from those the fish has spent the last few thousand years evolving to cope with (conditions will probably not be stable over a longer timeframe than that), the more likely the fish is to be weakened by the stress of coping with those conditions. Since most aquarium fish come from soft waters (rain forest streams, for example), a very high GH puts osmotic stress on them. They can deal with it and live, but the stress on their physiology will make them somewhat more inclined towards illness of any kind. I get a lot less illness generally at GH 160ppm than I did at GH 600ppm. 600ppm is high even for rifties.

Hawaii Predator

_::::PREDATOR::::_
Jul 28, 2008
Hawaii, Big Island
okay people, i got the master test kit yesterday in the mail/ from API.
results: PH 7.6, nitrate 40, nitrite 0, ammonia .25, and high range ph 7.4
the columnaris is really subsiding witht eh marycin i bought. four packets every other day fir five days and its almost completely gone. my snail problem is at ease too with the marycyn. all my fish look good and well now. thanks for the help guys. :)

Hawaii Predator

Jul 28, 2008
Hawaii, Big Island
now i gotta just add some nitrate lowering solution and itll be fine.

Hawaii Predator

Jul 28, 2008
Hawaii, Big Island
If it's columnaris, you'll need cirulation, increase air and possibly treat with an antibiotic targetted from gram negative bacteria. Marcyn II is one, and Tetracycline is another. You should act fast though, as this bacteria isn't patient. It'll paralize your fish until they are consumed by this bacteria.
yeah dude, my tank is well circulated. i got two 40 gallon pumps with bubble wands, a rena xp2 and a 75 gallon bio wheel filter running and also a seperate uv sterilizer with the stream on full blast. maracyn is what my father recommended after having the same problem and it has worked.
i know, my ram cichlid died a couple of weeks ago cause of it. :headshake2:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
okay people, i got the master test kit yesterday in the mail/ from API.
results: PH 7.6, nitrate 40, nitrite 0, ammonia .25, and high range ph 7.4
the columnaris is really subsiding witht eh marycin i bought. four packets every other day fir five days and its almost completely gone. my snail problem is at ease too with the marycyn. all my fish look good and well now. thanks for the help guys. :)

.25 ammonia means your tank is not cycled completely for your stock or you are just feeding too much. What is the full stock of your 55 gallon tank?

Why not just do a water change? That's better for the fish anyways.

Hawaii Predator

Jul 28, 2008
Hawaii, Big Island
.25 ammonia means your tank is not cycled completely for your stock or you are just feeding too much. What is the full stock of your 55 gallon tank?

Why not just do a water change? That's better for the fish anyways.

i had to wash out alot of gravel yesterday and i had to do a 50 & water change because it was so dirty. i also have to get rid of the columnaris by doing frequent water changes. i know, any kind of ammonia is poisonous. oh yeah i meant 0 to .25 not .25. im a little colorblind. its very light yellow on the card im using. theres no exact way of telling with me, but i can give a range unless its that obvious. so sorry for the confusion.

its hard to keep nitrate out of your tank because of tap water containing it. id much rather but the nitrate remover and lower it below 40. ill do the water change tomorrow anyway cause im still treating the tank. two more days to go and itll probably be gone.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The "solution" to lowering nitrates is more water changes. High/climbing nitrates will definitely be the result of not changing enough water often enough. You say you regularly do 25% water change, but I'm thinking it is not enough. I suggest you test your nitrate in your tap water and let us know what it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store