White Fungus Growing on African Dwarf Frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doggy12

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2017
A few days ago I cleaned out my planted African Dwarf frog tank. It was 25% and I do this regularly, 5 gallon tank with two frogs. At this point they were fed earlier that day and ate great.
Two days later as I go and check on them and check the temps. I see my heater broke, and there is white fungus growing on one of the frogs nose and somewhat bleeding. On the other frog there is a white spot on its side.
On the third day after seeing the fungus they are still eating and have an interest in food. They are currently in quarantine, with a working heater and a sponge filter.
Is this Chytrid???? Please help. The fungus is definitely growing on his nose. All it looks like is white mold. Is there anything I can do?

Doggy12

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2017
Day four. How do I treat this. I got lamisil. Will this help? One of the frogs is still eating fungus has grown on both sides. Frog with fungus on its nose has stopped eating and is staying towards the top of the tank

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm not familiar enough to say yes or no that its chitrid, or what it is. Can you post a picture? Is the fungus white and fuzzy? Have you done any water changes or treated with anything in the between days?

Doggy12

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2017
It is white and fuzzy. I have been doing daily water changes 25-50% and have been treating with hydrogen peroxide (only on the bleeding parts) and lamisil.
I would post a picture but the fungus on the frogs nose has fallen off and it looks like there is a hole in his nose. The other frog's fungus hasn't changed there is just a little bit on his sides.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It sounds like the peroxide treatment is working. I would stick with that. Its a well tested treatment for columnaris in fish, but it isn't found in frogs. However, if it is a true fungus then the peroxide treatment will work for it. It can take a couple of weeks to completely get rid of the infection. So, basically keep doing what you're doing, it sounds like it is working.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store