White Fuzz on Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not a fan of pima or mela fix. It's not that some natural products can't work in very mild cases but if I'm going to dose I want real pharma drugs (my husband is a retired pharma chemist, lol).

Those may be a good choice for suspected columnaris. There are 2 forms: a red sores version that kills very fast & a more chronic slow form of white patches.

For internal parasites I like flubendazole (not the similar fenbendazole). I don't know if they can be used with kanaplex at the same time.

Both diseases seem to be hitting your corys quite hard, I'm sorry. Might be time for a second hospital tank in addition to your QT tank. Are any other fish showing signs of either disease? Both can spread...but some fish are more susceptible to either.

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Unfortunately the two fish in question did not make it. Whatever it is seems to only affect the Cory's I have, I have not seen it appear on any other fish. I will be treating the whole tank with another round of meds to hopefully stop any further spreading.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you lost them. Sometimes with 2 (or more?) things wrong there isn't a good safe answer. Keep an eye on your other fish. Had you had the corys for long?

I hope this sad beginning to AC doesn't make you a stranger here. We'd love to see more of your tank as you go along, not many of us have had such a big tank!

Reactions: Josephk

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
I have had the corys for about 2.5-3 months. They were quarantined for just over 4 weeks. I decided yesterday to removed all the corys and put them in a 10 gallon hospital tank and treat them individually. (That was fun☹). Whatever this is seems to only effect them which is the confusing part for me.

Thanks, and I will be sure to post updates as this tank progress along!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think QT for the corys is a good idea, you don't want to pay for treatment in a huge tank if you don't need to, sad as that is. Huh, I usually think 4 weeks is enough for most issues to show up, that's what I do...Crap!

I'm looking forward to more pics of your tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store