White Spot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suzi_75

AC Members
Jan 31, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Hi

I bought 2 black moors a couple of weeks ago and I noticed last week that they had developed white spots all over there bodies! I have been treating them with white spot treatment for 4 days now and im not seeing any improvement. I was told that it would clear up in around 2 days.

Any advice would be great, thanks xx

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
i was told that it can take up to 14 days to treat. are you doing a water change at least 25% before each new dose?

terryborth

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2008
If your fish have ich.....Ich cannot survive water temperatures at 88 degrees. My discus were irradiated of ich with increasing water temp. to 88. However, you must be sure that your fish can tolerate that high of a temperature fist. Two week cycle for ich. After that you can return you tank temp to normal.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Possibly not an ideal temperature for cold water fish like moors.

Are we sure it's white spot? Do the spots look like tiny grains of salt?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree::iagree:

first try and determine if you do have ich. then take step to treat..
in cold water the ich life cycle may take longer. one reason we warm the temp up is to help expedite the life cycle.

but ich is treatable without adding heat..you will need to adjust the length of time the ich is exposed to the meds. ich is only treated in it's frees wimming stage.
the white spots(grains of salt) are in a stage where it is not treated. when the spots fall off they will spend some time in the substrate multiplying..then hatch out..this is when they are prone to treatment.

suzi_75

AC Members
Jan 31, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Thanks for all your replies. I am using White Spot control (king british) every 48 hours. I am starting to think that it may not be white spot though......the spots seem to always be there, as in they dont look like they have fallen off at all! my other fish dont seem to have them but they are rubbing against the gravel more than they normally would. What else could it be??

Artemis JT

AC Members
May 24, 2008
Wiscawnsin
Does the med your using have malachite green or copper? If it doesn't, get one that does...

suzi_75

AC Members
Jan 31, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Ok, i lost my plec last night :( and my moors are now looking like they are shedding an old skin! all this white tissue like stuff is peeling off them and my other fantails look like they are going the same way!!! I went to the fish shop yesterday and got advised to use medifix?? got given a bottle for free and told to dose everyday. Im scared that im going to loose my whole tank none of my fish look healthy :(:(:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store