white spots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smithra9172002

AC Members
Jan 7, 2008
Hello, I have a question about my black moor. He has little white spots that look raised, on the bottom parts of his eye only. his eye looks weird, I'm assuming the clear lens over both eyes, sort of like a bubble, is normal. Well, on the bottom of this "lens"(still on the clear part, not the skin/scales) there are little white raised bumps. He has a VERY hard time seeing his food, He knows it floats, so when its feeding time he just goes to the top of the water and "munches" on the water until he gets lucky and gets a few flakes. Other than that he seems perfectly fine. not lethargic, and rather active. Startles rather easily though, The other fish doesn't so im assuming this is the eye issue. No ammonia in the tank, no master test set yet, so no idea on the other readings though my LFS said that the tap water in this area was fine.

On closer inspection, they are more like milky white, semi transparent specs, almost like salt or sugar had been sprinkled on his eyes(but very fine)

Last edited:

smithra9172002

AC Members
Jan 7, 2008
thank you, I'm thinkin you may be right. It looks like we caught it rather early and I happen to have some of that blue medicine(the crap that dyes your silicone in the tank) Oh man these goldfish turning out to be a pain to keep healthy...

smithra9172002

AC Members
Jan 7, 2008
thanks for the help, but everything ive read people either had no luck with higher temp, or had to raise them 10+ degrees, which is no good for goldfish. especialy seeing how my temp is already at the high end of the reccomended.(71)

destined_love7

Aquariaholic
Sep 27, 2007
Yeah. What about the salt method? Or do you have to raise the temp with that one, too?

Sorry, I've not dealt with ich in a long time. I'm just trying to pass along what I've learned on here and maybe help point you in the right direction. lol

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You might have ich, fungus, or bacterial infection but the treatment for all three is the same... Malachite Green... It will stain the seals of your tank, plastic plants, fingers, favorite shirt, carpet, kids, dogs, etc.. It originally use was used as a fabric dye. It works very effectively against many external fungi, bacteria, and parasites.

Now how to use the stuff without getting the semi-permanent blue view (it will fade in 2-4 years). Find a 4-5 gallon bucket/container/something that holds water that you don't really care about. For many years my quarantine "tank" was a 4 gallon blue mop bucket. Transfer both fish to the "tank" and treat according to directions. If you can transfer your filter to the bucket and a little of the substrate to it all the better (without charcoal). If not you'll need an aerator. Treat the water in the bucket and ignore the directions of not to do a water change that some of them have. You have to do one every day of 80% of the water. Then retreat with the malachite green according to directions. I'm sad to say that the "tank" will be your fishes new home for the next two weeks until all signs of disease is gone. I've used this method to treat more than a few fish over the years.

As these fish do seem to be generally unhealthy a dose of antibiotics would not do any harm. They usually come in liquid or gel form. The easiest way to get it to your fish is to simply apply it to their food before you feed them. (use a plastic spoon to hold the food in and apply).

Now that your two $2.00 fish have cost you a fortune you can't give up now.

smithra9172002

AC Members
Jan 7, 2008
I think I'm just going to treat them in the tank, because from everything that I have read ich can survive with no fish host for up to 30 days, so that would be 30 days in a hospital tank If I do not treat the main tank. I can deal with everything being dyed for a while, can just replace the fake plants with real ones like i have been thinking and I don't care about the seals, they are an eyesore blue or milky white. As for the whole salt thing, i have 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons anyway, because I was told that was a good way to relieve stress, and thought it would help with the stress of the move from the pet store.(recommended dose on the carton) Thanks again for everyones help :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store