Whitespot treatment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dunc

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Hiya guys n gals. Am new to the forum.. I live in Newcastle, United Kingdom.

I've just started keeping fish - thought I'd start out with the basics and go for a simple setup: namely 2 goldfish.

One of the goldfish had whitespot as soon as he was in the tank. I don't know if this is because he had whitespot when I bought him and I didn't notice, or what, but either way he has it.

I've treated him per instructions with Waterlife's Protozin.. but it seems to have made no difference. Now the other goldfish is flicking and scraping and looks like he's in the early stages of having whitespot, too.

Should I treat them again on the weekly cycle* that the Protozin recommends, and keep treating them until the whitespot goes away, or am I right in just doing one weekly cycle* of the Protozin?

(*Protozin instructions: Use on days 1, 2, 3 & 6)

Thanks in advance :)
Duncan.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There is a very good thread covering ich treatment in the articles forum. With goldfish, the high heat is a bit rougher on the fish, but a combination of elevated temp and salt is very effective, without being as stressful as most medications.

FWIW, very few people consider goldfish good beginners fish--they are more challenging than many available tropicals.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Part of the problem is that goldfish produce lots of waste, so it's a challenge to keep the tank clean enough. Another concern is size--even fancy goldfish get very large, and need big tanks. The average recomendation is at least 20 gallons for just one fish--but lots of people put 2-3 in a 10 gallon tank. Keeping the water clean becomes almost impossible and the fish are stunted, since all should hit 8-9 inches within 18 months.

dunc

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ah right.. doh! I definitely need a bigger tank for them, that's for sure. What size tank am I looking at for 1x 3"ish goldfish and 1x 4"ish goldfish?

Should I get the biggest tank I can possibly afford and then maybe stock it up with a few more goldfish?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The problem is that you'll need a tank for their adult size--which may be up to 18 inches. For a pair, a 75 gallon tank would be a bit small, but manageable for quite some time. It's also a matter of space--an 18 inch fish in a tank that's only 18 wide doesn't work very well. If you have fancy varieties (lion heads, etc), a trio might work, but will be crowded by most people's standards.

dunc

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Lol what a nightmare, a 75 gallon tank for 2 fishies! And that's small! Lol.

What sort of size is a 75 gallon tank? I've got a dresser which I'd like to put a tank on, which is about 14" deep, 26" wide and 30" high.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most 75's are ~18X20X48. For smaller tanks, most furniture is sturdy enough, but when you get much above 50 gallons, I'm a little leary of it. When you figure that just water weighs in around 8 lbs per gallon, 50*8=400 pounds, plus the weight of the tank itself, well, most furniture is not built to support that kind of weight.

dunc

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Aye.. I've just been looking at the Aqua One range of tanks (we sell them at work, so I could get 25% off - and they look pretty smart). I'd have to get the 980 which is 215 litres (works out at about 80 gallons I think?).

How long would it take me to cycle (fishless) a tank like that, and how many cold water fish could I put in? Do the black moors and lionheads etc get big quickly, too?

One more thing.. could I put White Cloud Mntn Minnows in with the coldwaters? I've heard that at room temperature in coldwater tanks they are alright?

Greatly appreciate the help, OrionGirl :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
215 litres is ~55 US gallons. I wouldn't put more than 2 fancies in there. White clouds can tolerate the cooler water, but I'm not sure how well they get along. Goldies can sometimes eat smaller fish, and some times smaller, fast fish out compete them for food. I'd go slow, and keep in mind that the smaller fish still add to the bioload of the system.

For cycling--I'd plan on moving the existing filter onto the larger tank when it's setup. The filter will already have the bacteria, and the colonies will expand as the fish grow. Otherwise, 2-6 weeks, less time with heavy seeding from the existing tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store