Why are my Pictus not eating?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

michaels

Registered Member
Mar 10, 2007
Hi All,

Lat weekend I purchased one pictus catfish. It has been very active going from side to side in my 50g tank non stop. For the whole week I tried flakes, tablets which drop to the bottom and live blood worms without it feeding.

This weekend I introduced another pictus. It appears to have 'schooled' well with the first.

Since the second introduction I have tried frozen worms with limited success as only the second introduced pictus as shown some interest to the frozen food.

But baically both are not showing any real ongoing interest in food.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Michael

bdobosz

Jan 2, 2005
When I had Pictus Cats they were much more interested in eating at night once the lights were off. They also arent very graceful eaters. Mine would eat on the run as they flew back and forth across the tank as you describe. It was hard to tell sometimes if they actually eatings they moved so quickly.

Beasts

Beasts
Jan 15, 2007
Check the water parameters and for signs of disease or other stress. I have kept a lot of pictus and never noticed a problem with their appetites unless one of the above factors was affecting them adversely. Mine have always eaten anything and everything at any time. Flake, frozen and live are always consumed aggressively until they look as if they had swallowed a marble. I feed with the lights on (I like to watch :D ) and it doesn't seem to slow them down.
Beasts

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
To be honest, never have seen my pictus (picti?) cats eat. Have had them 3 months and they have doubled in size, so they must be eating something!

Got three; 2 are always out and about. The last one most always stays behind some rocks under the heater; I'm always surprised when I count three swimming around!

michaels

Registered Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for your help & advice. The good news is that they are still alive. They have taken a liking to bloodworms. Not as crazy as they were swimming side to side but settled into regular hideouts at the bottom of the tank.

Cheers,

Michael
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store