Why do my plants....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The runners I am referring to is a new plant growing on a stem with it's own root system and leaves. I could cut it off and it would be a new amazon sword plant.
Yes, this is an inflorescence, with adventitious plants. You can leave them intact (this can be useful to fill in upper spaces), or when the adventitious plants have leaves and white roots an inch or preferably longer you can remove the plant from the inflorescence by pulling it gently downward along the stem. It usually comes off easily. Plant it in the substrate, it will in time attain the size of the parent plant. There will be two separate plants at each node along the inflorescence which will be readily seen if you remove them.

I will look into getting one of the two bulbs you mentioned. I believe the light I have now is ZooMed but I not for sure if it's UltraSun.
There are several tubes in the ZooMed line, as in the Hagen "Glo" line. The two I mentioned are 6500K which is ideal plant light. But one of the others might do, I have used the Tropic Sun which is a lower K and thus "warmer" white. There are some bluish ones with a high K intended for marine tanks and less useful with plants on their own.

It's weird because you all said Cabomba wouldn't grow in light, but at point that was the only plant that grew in my 75 gallon with extremely low light. I looked at one of my old pictures and it was a few inches from the top of my 75 gallon. I lived in a different city so my starting water parameters were different such as hardness and pH. Again thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
You're welcome. You are sure it was Cabomba? This I have found to be high light requiring. But plants, like fish, don't read the literature and may have their own ideas.:)

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Okay,

Since taking you guys advice my plants are looking a lot better. I have been turning out the lights for at least 7-8 hours. The Corkscrew Val is a new addition so it's not looking that good. Also, I haven't upgraded the light yet. The Amazon Sword is all but dead because of my BN plecos. They munch on it. I'm going to try to feed them more veggies. Here is the tank. Not sure if there is anything else I should do with it.

29 gallontank.jpg

29 gallontank.jpg

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Okay,

Since taking you guys advice my plants are looking a lot better. I have been turning out the lights for at least 7-8 hours. The Corkscrew Val is a new addition so it's not looking that good. Also, I haven't upgraded the light yet. The Amazon Sword is all but dead because of my BN plecos. They munch on it. I'm going to try to feed them more veggies. Here is the tank. Not sure if there is anything else I should do with it.

View attachment 212257
I would suggest that the BN are munching on the sword because it is dying. A healthy sword plant has relatively tough leaves and is not usually a plant BN will eat. But dying leaves are softer, and BN as well as snails will go for these.

The sword problem is undoubtedly light now, and same for the Vallisneria. In the ZooMed line, the Ultra Sun is the tube you want, or the Life-Glo from Hagen. Both of these will work fine.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Okay I will try to upgrade the light soon. The Sword was really big and healthy when I got it. The next day the plecos was attached to it and they had eaten the leaves transparent. The Val I have only had about a week. I see new leaves on it. The smaller leaves/the amazon that I have right now were new growths and the big leaves fell off. It was at least 6-7 inches when I got it. Then the BN attached to those and now eats them as well. The tall stem on the Amazon in the back has been sending off a lot of new plants. Like 3 so far. I have those in my 10 gallon and it is growing great and is getting bigger. The first one was like an inch when I removed it now in about a week it has 3 new leaves and is a little less than 2 inches. It doesn't have any transparent leaves or any thing. I looked at the roots of the Amazon they are healthy and very long I know it is the pleco that are killing them. It stays attached to it 24/7. I forgot to add that the center of the sword is still growing new leaves.

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Okay I will try to upgrade the light soon. The Sword was really big and healthy when I got it. The next day the plecos was attached to it and they had eaten the leaves transparent. The Val I have only had about a week. I see new leaves on it. The smaller leaves/the amazon that I have right now were new growths and the big leaves fell off. It was at least 6-7 inches when I got it. Then the BN attached to those and now eats them as well. The tall stem on the Amazon in the back has been sending off a lot of new plants. Like 3 so far. I have those in my 10 gallon and it is growing great and is getting bigger. The first one was like an inch when I removed it now in about a week it has 3 new leaves and is a little less than 2 inches. It doesn't have any transparent leaves or any thing. I looked at the roots of the Amazon they are healthy and very long I know it is the pleco that are killing them. It stays attached to it 24/7. I forgot to add that the center of the sword is still growing new leaves.
I have heard from others that BN will sometimes eat plants, which I thought were more likely the soft fine-leaf ones, but obviously they are not so choosy. You might have to re-home the BN. Or perhaps ensure it has more vegetable matter to eat. Maybe encourage algae on a chunk of wood or rock in a separate container in sunlight, then put this in the tank. If the BN continues to eat the leaves, eventually the plant will likely die. Swords will withstand various detrimental factors but in my experienced this only goes so far before the plant can no longer manage.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I'm going to give more veggies. I have been feeding them more algae wafer than veggies, so I am going to change that. I think they like the Amazon because it's the only plant with big enough leaves. My other tanks grow plants fine, but they are also smaller in size.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
From my experiense, most plecos like Amazon Swords. I think maybe the leaves taste bestter. I have BN plescos, but I feed the Zucs. They still eat the occational sword leaf, but really only once every few weeks. My swords (and I) can handle that.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I feed my Zucchini but not as much as I do algae wafers. By time I think of giving them the Zucchini that I brought, it has gone bad. I'm going to give them more Veggies than wafers. How often do you feed yours?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have 4 BN (2 in each tank). I feed them Zucs twice a week, and twice a week with waffers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store