Why do my Powder Blue Gouramis keep dying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
About 25 years ago I kept a tank with 6 blue gourami. They were the hardiest fish in the tank. Lived for 5 years (then I moved and gave them to a friend) with no problems.
Guess things have changed?

ReignsAngel

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
Corvina, powder blue dwarfs and blue gouramis are different. The blues get big, well, 4+", lol. The dwarfs stay around 2"-2.5" long.

Thank you all for the information. I suppose powder blues may just be a bad choice at this time. As much as we love them, we may have to wait for another male.

The funny thing is, every site that sells them claims them to be a very hardy fish, able to adapt to various water conditions and easy fish to keep. Like I was saying, the regular dwarf *male, red/blue* has survived slendidly. He is truly a beautiful fish, his colors are incredibly vivid. The only thing is, he's aggresive, well, he's aggresive toward other males. Also, sometimes he will chase off a tetra if it gets too close. Would anyone recommend we move him back into the big tank? At this time, we have two females in there. I know he won't mess with the corydoras, the zebra danios are too ellusive, and the two killis are tough fish in thier own right. My only concern would be if he became aggresive with the two females. I would think he'd be happy to have two little girl friends. What advice would you all have on that?

ReignsAngel

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
Well, tonight we are going to try to reintroduce the dwarf to the community tank. Wish me luck! :D

majorzeb

AC Members
Dec 6, 2006
Henderson, NC
I have had a lot of problems keeping my dwarf gouramis alive...I had two powder blue dwarfs together for about 2 months, and then they died, and I ended up getting another one, and then that one died shortly after I purchased it. I tested my water, and it seemed to be fine. There must be something wrong with the quality of gouramis these days.

ReignsAngel

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
Zeb, it's sad really. :( They are so beautiful.

janetdc1

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
web.me.com
hmmmm-this is making me nervous!
I will have to keep a close eye on my dwarfs- I have one flame, one powder blue, and one neon and they are all so beautiful! the guy told me it was the "neon" dwarf that is actually natural- like the way they are in the wild- red and blue stripes- but he is the one who seems the most fragile to me of the three- I have to distract the other fish so i can feed just him- he only eats itty bitty pieces of flakes, and then goes and hides. he appears to be getting a little plumper, but I did notice he had a whitish stringy -almost thread like substance hanging from him today- if i didn't know better I'd say it was weird poop-
any ideas?
Anyway- Good luck with your new Powder Blue!!!
j

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
RTR posted this on the Forum that is not allowed to be mentioned on this site:

Trust this info for sure.
Im not gonna trust that info! I have 2 flame dwarfs, 1 Neon Blue(AKA Powder Blue) and 1 gold all males who have been with me for many months. I also have some corys, a bristlenose pleco, and a school of harlequin rasboras. Not one problem at all. Oh and I have some Ruby Red Ramshorn Snails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store