Why is the Bala a "shark"??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GTK

AC Members
I guess this is a question for the ichthyologists out there. I want to get some Bala sharks, but why are they called sharks? Just because they look a lot like sharks, or because there is something that classifies them in the "shark" family? The only true sharks I know are marine and have cartilage where there is usually bone. Thanks for any info!!

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
bala sharks not classified as sharks. in fact, they're not anymore related to true sharks than are goldifsh. someone just thought they looked like sharks, hence the name.

caution: bala sharks get to a foot in length and require a school of at least 4-5 other sharks to live with. because of this, balas ultimately need a six-foot aquarium to live in. otherwise, their growth will be stunted, and they will die very early. they also tend to get exceptionally stressed in small tanks and will (a) try to jump out and (b) smash themselves into the aquarium walls to the point of significant injury.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
From what I remember, biology didn't have anything to do with the naming of the bala shark. Like many of the small freshwater sharks it was named by people who discovered the fish and thought it was a shark. Looks like one so it must be one. The scientific name of the bala indicates its not a shark, but science has little to do with perception in this case. Thus its a bala shark and not just a bala. Just a thought. Wonder if LFS would sell as many bala sharks if the name shark wasn't added on the end?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by andruboz
coolest of all,
Bela Fleck!
Are they UFO fanatics?

:rolleyes:

:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com