Why is this tank so cloudy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Do you know what kind of rocks?
Are they limestone?

I would agree with above that you are getting this prob from the beneficial bacteria reproducing.
It is usually harmless and can take a week or two to clear up.
I dont know what kind of rocks. I was told that they look like limestone. We have them everywhere though. People use them in their ditches. It passed the vinegar test though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
The newly added rock could be the problem by increasing the bioload, or BL. Limestone has a bioload rating of 2, or BR of 2. This means for every ounce of rock, your filter has to handle 2 more bioload units, or BU. now, a little fish such as a rummynose has a bioload rating of 5, but fish weigh a lot less than limestone. so while a rummynose produces 5 units, a single rock can produce over 50 units of bioload!

To counteract this higher bioload, you need to increase your bio-power, or BP. You can do this via vibration. what I do is silicone some surround sound speakers to the bottom of the tank, so when i'm watching tv, i'm also boosting my BP. Think of ammonia spikes as buildings on a skyline. Now think of vibrations as an earthquake. see how the ammonia spikes go away?

So pay attention to BR and BU to never let your BL get higher than your BP or cloudiness happens , and don't pay a bit of attention to my BS.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
put those rocks in any other tanks?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
then take them out, do a w/c and wait and see if it returns. after a couple weeks, if there's no return, just assume it's the rocks.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
The newly added rock could be the problem by increasing the bioload, or BL. Limestone has a bioload rating of 2, or BR of 2. This means for every ounce of rock, your filter has to handle 2 more bioload units, or BU. now, a little fish such as a rummynose has a bioload rating of 5, but fish weigh a lot less than limestone. so while a rummynose produces 5 units, a single rock can produce over 50 units of bioload!

To counteract this higher bioload, you need to increase your bio-power, or BP. You can do this via vibration. what I do is silicone some surround sound speakers to the bottom of the tank, so when i'm watching tv, i'm also boosting my BP. Think of ammonia spikes as buildings on a skyline. Now think of vibrations as an earthquake. see how the ammonia spikes go away?

So pay attention to BR and BU to never let your BL get higher than your BP or cloudiness happens , and don't pay a bit of attention to my BS.
Wait a minute here, a rock has bio-load? I dont get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store