Wild caught bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
You do realize that the peace and harmony you're enjoying now will be short-lived right? The Bass will own your tank inside of a year, unless the Sunfish kill it quickly!
That's not necessarily true. Mine was docile. Ignored other fish. All he cared about was eating. He was about 15" long when I released him into my friend's pond. My sunfish were way more aggressive.

Though I do see a lot of fish in there that he's just going to eventually outright eat....

Danios - snack. Gouramis - snack. Small loaches - snack. etc.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Ive kept green sunfish with my oscar and australian rainbowfish. Its a beautiful and interactive fish but in a couple days, 2 of my rainbowfish went missing and my oscar had white marks that looked like torn scales around his head. North American fish are MEAN but yet still cool lol.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
That's not necessarily true. Mine was docile. Ignored other fish. All he cared about was eating. He was about 15" long when I released him into my friend's pond. My sunfish were way more aggressive.

Though I do see a lot of fish in there that he's just going to eventually outright eat....

Danios - snack. Gouramis - snack. Small loaches - snack. etc.
That was pretty much my point. He'll eat everything in the tank except the Pleco and possibly the Sunfish, unless he chokes on the Pictus or a Sunfish early in his gastronomic tour of the world. Gives him ownership by default.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
That was pretty much my point. He'll eat everything in the tank except the Pleco and possibly the Sunfish, unless he chokes on the Pictus or a Sunfish early in his gastronomic tour of the world. Gives him ownership by default.
That doesn't mean they're aggressive. Just hungry :p:

And they're fast and have got a big ol' mouth.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/anostomusternetzi/?action=view&current=P1010051.mp4

That one ignored all the fish he was in the tank with, including some not much bigger than that minnow. But the movement of the minnow made him strike.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Nice vid!

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Thanks. You notice the others including the red devil were still hovering around the top waiting for pellets before they noticed the bass got something they might want lol. They seem to have better eye-mouth coordination or whatever than other fish.

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
Fortunately the lake has a special policy about people putting native fish into the lake, if you want to donate native fish you bring them in and they house them in a big QT tank and then dump them into the lake. If my bass becomes a problem, back to the lake he goes (of course they will be QT-ing him first).

Tomorrow I will be going to petsmart and buying 40-50 ghost shrimp and starting a "farm" again.

My bass snagged my smallest danio, but I'm not concerned. I figure if theres live food, hes going to go for the liveliest which in this case would be fish and not worms. My bass is absolutely terrified of my Serpae school and dashes away from them. If my bass were bigger I'd feed him my blue and white crays that I have a horrible abundance of (Bought two reddish looking crays 3 years ago, in the past 3 years I have had over one thousand crays which all have been either blue or white and have had to sell or give away most).

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
He can eat smaller crays at that size. Though the soft shelled (molting) ones will be easier to eat.

Mine ate pellets, but he learned from watching all the other fish. If you keep putting stuff like pellets in he may eventually eat them. You can also try blowing them across the bottom with a powerhead to simulate living prey, and he may take them.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
You are going to need at LEAST a 150-180 gallon tank for that bass ALONE. Think about a 10lb fish in your tank in a few years. Also, a bass can eat slender fish half its size so your danio's will begin to disappear very quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store