will an Anemone catch a manderin fish or a green clown goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
Hey eveyone
I have a 37 gallon tall reef tank with: 1 Ocecellaris Clown fish, 1 Midas Blenny, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Green Manderin Fish, 1 Green Clown Goby, 1 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 brittle star. I wanted to add an Anemone for a ocellaris clown fish but was not sure if the anemone would harm any of the fish and invertabrates i already have in my tank? Thank you for your responses!

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
i have anemone and its never harmed anything!
how long your tank been running?
you need a mature tank for an anemone! also do research make sure you buy a healthy one! not bleached!!!
read up on them a bit so you know the signs of sick anemone they can wipe a tank if they die!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I think that'll depend on the type of anemone, to be honest, as well as the fish hosting the anemone. A friend had a carpet anemone and the Clarkii clown that hosted it preyed upon the smaller and slower fish in the tank, only to feed them to the anemone. I don't think there's too much to be worried about with Ocellaris clowns (as far as them doing what this Clarkii did), but the anemone itself could eat unsuspecting fish.

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
My tank has been set up for just about a year now. At the tropical fish store i work at i have seen an anemone with a manderin fish in it's tenacles. Do you have any small or slow fish with your anemone?

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
And does anybody know which anemone is the most compatible with the ocellaris clown and if this anemone is a good choice for keeping with slow fish?
Thanks again everyone

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Alot of references state not to mix mandarin dragonettes with anemones. Saying that I had both with no problems, but now my anemone has died I won't be risking it again. Give me a dragonette over an anemone any day:)

You are aware also, that there is no guarantee that the clown will use the anemone as a host?

I must admit, I'd also not put an anemone in that size tank, but that is purely personal preference.

Here's a link for you to have a look at for compatibility

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Here's a few links on clownfish / anemone compatibility:
First link
Second link
Third link
Hope those help!

CPD is right... Even when putting a clownfish with its most suitable host anemone, it's not 100% that the clownfish will host the anemone.

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
Thanks for all your help. The links did help and i think i will hold off until i get a different tank. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store