will florida flagfish REALLY eat my stringy green hair algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I've read they will, but I reallllly don't want another fish that isn't doing it's job :) seems like everyone's been getting lazy in my tanks! anything you can tell me about your experience with Florida Flags would be great.

also wondering how fast they grow, if they'll bother other fish or shrimp, etc.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Flagfish seem to have their own personalities, you can't really tell whether one would be aggressive, or care about algae, etc. I had some that ate shrimp and nipped otos, had others that didn't, some ripped up algae, others ignored it.

PPMN

Who could resist this face??
I have a semi bad problem with hair algae in one of my tanks too...I was told to try Flourish Excel...need to go to the pet store and see if it works.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Flourish Excel contains copper? My bottle doesn't say anything about copper. But anyway, I've been using it for months in tanks with snails, shrimp, and FW clams. It hasn't bothered them. You're good to go if you want to try it I think. It got rid of my beard algae once I started using it in my 29.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I don't know who wrote the aggressive bs about flag fish. I have 3 and they are the shyest fish in the tank. They eat hair algae like mad. I think the aggressive behaviour must have been when spawning. I think that someone doesn't really have a clue about what aggressive is though.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Ingredients:
Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Gluconate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Protein Hydrolysates.

Guaranteed Analysis:
In Percentages:
Total Nitrogen 0.07
Available Phosphate ( P2O5) 0.01
Calcium (Ca) 0.14
Magnesium (Mg) 0.11
Sulfur (S) 0.2773
Boron (B) 0.009
Chlorine (Cl) 1.15
Cobalt (Co) 0.0004
Copper (Cu) 0.0001
Iron (Fe) 0.32