Will "Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser" work for DIY co2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haywood Jablome

AC Members
May 26, 2012
I forgot to mention that this diffuser will clog on you after time, and I suggest regular maintenance.

I usually soak in a mild bleach solution 1:20. Then thoroughly rinse in a double dosed dechlorinated water...really rinse well

sent from my p.o.s. HTC EVO using the Monster AquariaNetwork App

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Actually, I just found out I have a canister filter not a HOB, but it still shoots water down creating air bubbles.
I'm still trying to learn the lingo.. . I just recently took over these tanks not long ago and started to play around with the plants.

I heard if I planted tanks don't need air bubbles, but I'm worried these plants isn't producing enough oxygen.

In regards to the clogging issue, I do have a bubble counter and it's only filled 20% with water and I only had the diffuser for less then a week.
Kind of strange, but yeah, i washed it out.. . not with bleach though, but with peroxide. I don't have a bottle of dechlorinator yet, but its on my shopping list.

airdrieaquarist

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2013
Hi all. I purchased a couple of these fluval ceramic diffusers recently. I was trying to use them with a DIY yeast co2 system temporarily as i am in the process of building a pressurized system (just deciding on what type of regulator to buy).

I have a 200 gallon tank so i have needed a bunch of diy systems running. one of the ceramic diffusers produced bubbles after 24 hours but the other one simply would not produce. both systems were sealed as much as possible. If I through an airstone on the one that wasnt working, it produced immediately.

THe one that worked was using wine bottles with corks. The one that didn't had a system of plastic bottles. Tons of pressure in the bottles, but no bubbles.

My theory was that the glass system was able to generate higher PSI than the plastic. Soooo...i switched out the plastic with 3-glass bottles and wow....tons of bubbles within a few hours. It's been going strong now for a while.

FYI for the gas seperator, I actually used a pickle jar and used thread tape when screwing on the lid. Works great. Lots of silicone on that one.....
I think its also worth noting that if you silicone, silicone the tube on the part of your lid that is on the inside of the bottle. you will get a better seal. Looking forward to picking up the 20lb tank and other stuff.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Hm.. . glass bottle vs plastic -- I should give it a try the next time my diy co2 runs out.
Thanks!

jflores0002

Registered Member
May 25, 2014
If you're having leaks, there's an easy solution and cheap. I use the tops from sports water bottles (the ones you pull up with your teeth to drink). You can buy these at Ralphs or other stores. They fit really well on 2-liter soda bottles. Just leave the cap intact and drill hole in center. It must be smaller than aquarium airline. Next cut the airline tip at an angle to make it easier to pull. If you can pull airline thru with just your fingers, the hole is too big. Use smaller drill bit. You should only be able to pull thru with needle-nose pliers. Once it's thru just cut airline to length desired. Want to test for leaks? I attach check valve but backwards so no air flows thru. Squeeze the 2-liter bottle. If done properly there should be no air escaping. Oh and the good thing about using these caps is you can pull up on the top and it will releae CO2 if you think you have too much CO2 going into tank.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
The leak was coming out of the diffuse, not the soda bottle. I think I had had a bad one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store