will my cons still breed if i just moved them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

K_S_W_I_S_S

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Needles, CA
www.picturetrail.com
i had them both in the 125g with the other fish and i decided to move them... the tank is bare and it is only the two of them. im [pretty sure she is ready to lay the eggs within a few days cuz she is big and her egg tube is extended pretty long... should i put in something for a dither fish or what? im going to put in a pot for them that was in the 125g for them (and they werent using it) but i forgot to do it, so should i wait a day to put it in or just do it now???

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Go ahead and put the pot in. It will give the female a place to feel more secure. She will most likely lay eggs soon if not give her a couple of days to get over the move and she will be back to her old self.

K_S_W_I_S_S

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Needles, CA
www.picturetrail.com
cool, i have had them lay eggs once and i ended up feeding all of them to my oscar before they got 1/4 inches long... this time i think im gonna keep some....if i just have 1 pleco and one oscar in my 125g, how many grown cons do you trhink i could have in there also??

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
u mean baby cons?

tons probably but if they are big then only a few like 3-6, the cons will tell you when there are too many cause you will find some dead ones or some missing ones.

K_S_W_I_S_S

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Needles, CA
www.picturetrail.com
well she laid eggs today while i was at school... too bad i missed it... they are viable if they are brown right? i dont know what i want to do with this batch... this is only the 3rd batch that i know of... the first one was eaten, the second one i fed them to my oscar and this one i might keep some (and hope for a pink female and buy a pink male...)

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I read something once where convicts will breed as long as you keep them wet.:D From what I've seen that's probably true!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
Originally posted by voocichlid
I read something once where convicts will breed as long as you keep them wet. From what I've seen that's probably true!
yea seems to be that way, they dont really care about water conditions

Last edited:

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i would say let it cool naturally because if you change the temp too much over a short period of time you are prone to stressing and killing some if not all the fish just take it slow and careful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store