will past copper treatments hurt - used tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
ok so im pretty much committed to upgrading my tank now and am eyeballing a used 75 gallon acrylic but am also considering evicting my freshies and converting my 75 fw tank to sw. however the tanks been used for years now and has had several medications added to it's waters over time. would any of this leech into the water from the silicon or anything?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have no experience with this personally and can only tell you what I have read. But there was a forum where I was reading where people had converted old hospital tanks into coral etc tanks and have had no problems.

I don't think that it is a problem that Copper will be absorbed by glass or even acrylic but things like silicone could probably absorb some. Do I think that it would leach enough back into a tank to cause issues no..

But again like I said I haven't personally tried this but if you want to check I'd evict your FW fish like you said, fill it up with saltwater and let it sit for several weeks with just water and filtration in it and then use a saltwater copper test kit to see if there are any results. But I would also make sure that I'd use RO water and test everything before I put it into the tank (out of the RO unit, after I added salt etc) to make sure I had no readings elsewhere while doing something like this...

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
copper will be absorbed by the silicone and will be leached back out into the tank.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
If you are that worried about possible contamination I would def. re-seal, and scrub the heck out of the tank, I have a 30G that I bought off a fellow reefer and was planning on making it another sw tank, but I housed rats and even if I were to scrub it I still woulndt use it for aquatic life (their pee is really acidic)

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
there's a product you can buy by seachem called CupriSorb
http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/CupriSorb.html that absorbs all copper within a tank from sand, rock, glass, silicone in a few days of use its a bag of media you put in a filter let it run & then all copper is absorbed in to it....

BUT

if the silicone is years old then regardless of copper i`d re-seal it as you don`t want a seal burst with 75gallons of water plus stock be a real wast of money....

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
most if not all silicone brands only Guarantee for 5-10years on there product so without doubt a re-seal is a must other wise your asking for a tank blow out & an expensive mistake considering silicone is so cheap to buy

yes stripping old silicone & re-sealing a tank is NOT an easy job to do but thats not the question i guess

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
CupriSorb is a pretty good product for the removal of copper..Also use absorbtion media's like poly filters to remove the copper from the system..With the poly filters, they turn bluey grey when absorbed...both are pretty effective methods...

Hope that helps..

This has also kinda been discussed here..

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138027&highlight=CupriSorb&page=4

Niko
The nice thing about the Poly Filters though is that they are not "just" going to absorb copper.. They will absorb any treatment or other garbage added/in a tank and can be used in both Fresh or Salt water systems.

I am not sure about the other absorbtion media (maybe you do Niko).. So if you wanted to do that switch you could run the Poly Filter in your tank for a couple of weeks and then when you break it down re-silicon your joints and you should be ready to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store