Will this hold my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phesarnion

AC Members
Feb 20, 2013
Reading, UK
Afraid there's no lateral support along the bottom, only 2x at the top... Tank is now up and running. It's not entirely level, about 3mm difference from one side to the other (based on the distance from the top of the water to the top of the tank as it barely affects my spirit level), but I'm comfortable with this, given the additional bracing around the bottom of the tank, and the relatively tiny difference in level.

It's now all up and running... looks good. Plumped for a sand substrate for the corys, and fake plants for ease of cleaning. Nice chunk of bogwood in there too, the slight staining of the water helps to make all the plastic plants look more natural by dulling their colours.

Thanks to all for their help/input, you guys have been awesome!

Gill Roy

"Up to my neck"
Nov 6, 2007
New Port Richey, FL.
That looks like it may give you problems in the long run. Aquariums are constructed to be supported along the bottom edge. Which the design of which would make it the side and front panels bearing a large percentage of the load. This load MUST be transfer directly and evenly on the stand to prevent and stress points. This would place the front and side panels directly over any vertical supports incorporated into the stand construction.
This would take care of vertical loads which would be the greatest in this application. Now horizontal loads must be considered. This is the movement you would see if you pushed on th side of the stand. Looks like with this makeshift stand most of the horizontal load would not be well distributed. The stand would have a tendancy to "sway" or lean. (sorry to make this so long winded but it is very important) Putting in a back panel that is not cardboard or partical board as have been mentioned would be a big help in strenghthening this. Pay close attention to this movement as it may become more loose over time if it starts out loose.
Have fun and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Kuddos 2 U

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Right now, I am using a glass taple to hold a 20 gallon aquarium with everything and it seems to be doing just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store