Will this sump design work? pic inside

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melonie

AC Members
May 7, 2005
Absolutely no reason to be sorry, Ash ... that is definitely the best and safest and simplest way to set up a sump and return. However, it does essentially rely on the ability to drill holes through the aquarium sidewall/bottom and install bulkhead fittings, which based on the original siphon overflow box comments I got the impression that knocking holes in the tank was not going to be part of the equation.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Sorry I assumed that there were already holes in the tank with the overflow box. If that is not the case then I agree with you Mel, drilling holes in tanks is unnecessary. There is another way to get an even flow back to the sump and that is with a carlson surg devise, it works on the same principle as an overflow without drilling holes in the tank, its only drawback is it can be tricky to get started, but once you have the knack its no problem and no need to worry about too much water leaving the sump or vise versa. :)

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Same sort of principle, the only problem is that water comes in surges, like waves in the ocean, the saltwater folk use it mainly I just thought it would be good to let people know there are other options out there.

The carlson surge device

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Hmm I might be able to use something like that with my 150 gallon stock tank.

Otherwise I might just use a Pondmaster filter.

Brass sliver

"I got slivers on my fingers"
Dec 19, 2004
Alberta Canada
You could install the sump above tank level, put a prefiltered pump in the tank to bring water to your "overhead sump" and let gravity do the rest. I have seen it done .

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
Brass sliver said:
You could install the sump above tank level, put a prefiltered pump in the tank to bring water to your "overhead sump" and let gravity do the rest. I have seen it done .
That came across my mind as well, but it seems more practical to have it beside the tank (easier to change water, fiddle with the inside, doesn't cover the top of the tank.)

Brass sliver

"I got slivers on my fingers"
Dec 19, 2004
Alberta Canada
That true too. Unless you can concele it in the canopy. That was the way I saw it. You can't even tell if you're just looking at the tank. You had to lift the canopy to see the sump. It was well made, Pretty neat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store