With an Oscar: Severums or Geophagus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noside

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2014
Cool. There is a very nice 4" red-spotted severum at my LFS. Just one, though. Along with the group of SDs and the juvie oscar, does it make sense to do one severum or two?
I've had problems with aggression between a pair of severums if they are both the same sex. Although I have had zero problems with my oscar even showing attention that my Sevs exist. probably because my oscar is 12"+ and the sevs are still just breaking 5"

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I had a breeding pair of gold sevs in with an oscar and a P. polleni in a 150, along with 4 pictus cats, 3 4-lined pims, 9 SDs and two plecos. Didn't have any problems, the cichlids all left each other alone for the most part. The biggest issue was the mess the royal pleco made with all the driftwood, those things are like little chainsaws.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Id go with severums bc of their size and activity level, but either would be ok. Also, the geos will tear up the substrate.
Oscars can do a number on substrate, too. I had one in the 70s that would move the entire contents of his tank to one side, including the filter uplift tube, at least once a week.

OP: I think either choice would go ok with your Oscar.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store