Wondering if I can get protein skimmer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
My father has been fussing that he wants a protein skimmer. I bought him 3 marineland c-360 because the fish cabniet was not big enough to hold a sump tank. He was looking through a catalog and now wants a protein skimmer. I was wondering if yall think it is possible for our tank. He has a glass canopy up top, and the bottom cabniet is full. I was think a hang-on skimmer may be the best choice. Thanks!

protien skimmer 001.jpg protien skimmer 002.jpg

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Only have about 5 inches in the back. Yea, I think I will just have to a make a cut in the glass and hang in on the side.

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Anyone know of a site where I can see what a HOB looks like on a tank? Thanks.

kryptic4l

AC Members
May 21, 2007
Antartica
from my personal experiance, canister filters are useless in salt, and break down in a hurry... again that is my experiance.

but then again im running a hob superskimmer, on my 90 gallon. they are an eye sore.

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Yea, I agree the canisters aren't much use. I would like a sump and all that but the tank stand was built in 1984. So I am just trying to make the best of it. I fell a skimmer will be an eye sore as well. So, I will try to convince my Father that this is the best I can do for filteration w/o changing the cabniet structure. Thanks again everyone.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Anyone know of a site where I can see what a HOB looks like on a tank? Thanks.
There is a picture of my hob Coralife Super Skimmer on the first page of my build thread here, and you can get an idea of what it looks like from the front in some of the full tank shots.
I really thought I was going to hate the way this thing looks when I pulled this 25" monster out of the box, but it really is not too bad. Most of it is hidden behind the tank (cleverly disguised by the hair algae:D) and all you can really see is the collection cup poking up above my light fixture.
Hope this helps!
Robbie

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm very familiar with that cabinet...the Oceanic. It was what mine came with and what ultimately made me decide to build a custom stand. You are very limited as you alread know. I considered an Octopus for the footprint and height and it would work for you but you';ll have to reconfigure the filters.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
How about opening the canisters and turning them into a sump? Put a deep siphon between each of them. Same as people using rubbermaid containers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store