WOO STEELHEAD!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Steelhead are a blast! I went with some friends from the Philadelphia Angling Club up to Erie this fall. I was told fishing was tough compared to past trips but I thoroughly enjoyed catching my first ones. All fish were caught on noodle rods with 4lb fluoro on single eggs and small black jigs. Here are a few pics.

So much fun, can't wait till next year.

Bart

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
Hey Bart--those are some real beauties. I agree that steelhead are a wonderful fish to catch. On the last photo--who is that guy behind you and what is he saying?

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
That's Ian. He was one of the guys I went with. I don't know what's better in that pic, him and his friendly gesture or the cigarette in my mouth that looks like a snaggle buck tooth.

johnpeezy

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
New regulations in washington state have a one hatchery caught steelhead per year (from anywhere) so there is really no pint in steelhead fishing.

-here is the weird part-

a rainbow trout and a steelhead are the same fish.
the scientific name for this species is
Oncorhynchus mykiss

recently steelhead has been re-classafied a salmon

but a rainbow trout still remains a trout according to fish and game regulations.

there are diffrent regulations for both.
go figure...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
The laws are to protect the fish and run.

while they are the same species they live different lives, the steelhead rainbow is anadromous like salmon.
the other rainbow trout is not
that is how they differentiate the two.

BTW, genetically the rainbow trout is more similar to the Pacific Salmon..probably the real reason why it is now a salmon.
Oncorhynchus is the genus for Salmon

;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store