Wood stand durability to flooded house?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

highgrovemanor

AC Members
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
8 or 9 year old Oceanic stand for a 135, been sitting on wet carpet for about a week (cut all around it, and removed almost all the carpet), but the tank won't be moved for a few more days.

Shouldn't I get it replaced (hopefully via insurance)? The finish has come off in some places along the bottom.

I'd think the manufacturers expect us to keep the water on the INSIDE most of the time, with only the occasional splashing / overflows, etc. So I'm not sure how submersible these things are.

Thoughts? and thanks!

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
8 or 9 year old Oceanic stand for a 135, been sitting on wet carpet for about a week (cut all around it, and removed almost all the carpet), but the tank won't be moved for a few more days.

Shouldn't I get it replaced (hopefully via insurance)? The finish has come off in some places along the bottom.

I'd think the manufacturers expect us to keep the water on the INSIDE most of the time, with only the occasional splashing / overflows, etc. So I'm not sure how submersible these things are.

Thoughts? and thanks!
Up to you to trust it or not. On a solid wood stand, you could absolutely trust it. On particle board under paper veneer, I'd be hesitant. Same for MDF. Problem is... once it drys is when you'll find out just how brittle the particle board has become and how flaky MDF will become....

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Depends on the type of wood used to build it. Wehn you say that the finish is coming off that sounds like a laminate and you probably have particle board under it.

solid wood = your good

particle board/mdf = your floor will be wet again (once your stand collapses and your tank hits the floor)

If you need help figuring out what type of material your stand is made of some pictures of the wood might help us help you.

sorry to hear you had a small flood or something in your house.

highgrovemanor

AC Members
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
It looks exactly like the cherry 135 pictured here:

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/american-oak-stand.htm

My LFS echoed that particle board would not survive, though they did ask if it might be pine instead of oak if wood. It still looks like wood underneath where the finish has come off. I'll try to post pix tonight, after getting them off my phone.

I'm just trying to gauge how much to push back on the insurance adjuster if s/he balks at it, or if I should replace it even if they dont pay for it. The last thing I want to have happen is it fail AFTER fixing the house up.

So everyone is in agreement its ok if its real wood? It'll make me feel better if others share the same opinion, as there are ALOT of things I'm having to worry about right now. :(

highgrovemanor

AC Members
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
I think its all going to work out, as it did seem in good shape when they moved it into the bedroom today. I'll try to take some picks and post them, as I recently did a minor remodelling with some new driftwood. Plus, I haven't seen my ottos swarming like this in quite awhile, I'm suprised how many have survived as I see maybe 1 about every other month. :) thanks everybody

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
A picture of the stand upside down so that we can see the exposed, unfinished material will make it a lot easier to tell what you have. Real wood will show a grain and the various pressed and glued materials will not. If it looks like plywood, it will start to delaminate with the moisture it has seen and even though it is real wood it should be replaced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store