World in a Jar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
2 summers ago, I had collected a neat aquatic plant from a bog next to a river...kinda like small coontail. I just stuck it in a large pickle jar full of water and sealed it with the lid. I placed it next to a window with direct sunlight, and the plant survived the whole summer. The best part about the jar was the discovery of little creatures that lived in it. At first it was just tiny clear snails and some kind of itty bitty crustacean things swimming. Then there was a tiny clear crawling centipede-looking thing, and i couldn't find any snails. Toward the end of the summer, there were little fuzzy urchin things crawling on the glass.

Then the girlfriend dumped my tiny world down the toilet because she likes to destroy things that i love (exaggeration)

Have any of you done this before? I don't mean with a shrimp and a plant, but rather with crazy looking almost microscopic "Lisa's Tooth" episode of The Simpson's type thing

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
do kittens count?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, I haven't done it yet, but I will now! *goes to store and buys super massive pickle jar* Now I just have to eat these pickles :) But yea, that sounds awesome! You should try it again, but with a note "Do not touch!" or maybe "Dangerous aquatic lifeforms contained within." :D

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Stick the girlfriend in a jar and see what happens! Sounds like a great idea. Label the jar "Science Experiment - Do Not Touch" and maybe you'll have better luck keeping it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store