Worst nightmare..Please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jonah2940

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
UK
My tank is leaking!!!!

It's not gushing, more of a slow drip but enough to cause quite a big puddle on the kitchen floor.

It's a 215 UK litre Aqua One 980 FOWLR.

Does it mean I'm going to have to strip the tank down or is there any way I can reseal it with the water and fish still in it.

I think it's leaking from the worst possible place, the back corner which is in the corner of the room and I cant get to it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
To save your flood I'd drain the tank into rubber maid buckets etc. Move out all of your live stock/ lr etc and re-seal. I don't think that the marine safe silicones will hurt your fish but, it might be easier to do dry. I'd probably try to seal with the water and fish in just to see if it works.

I'm not very handy so I'll move this to marine diy so that you can get some better answers in case I'm wrong.

Please keep us posted!
Best of luck
Max

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
if it's just a small dripping corner, you just apply a small dab of silicone sealent to the outside.

Jonah2940

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
UK
Thanks max. This has stressed me so much as due to work I can't do anything until tomorrow evening.

Jonah2940

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
UK
I've managed to slide the tank out from the wall gently but not too far. The lip between the tank and the casing is full of water so I can't see where the leak is. Think I'll reseal the whole of the back of the tank from the inside with the water in? Will this work? I'll take the LR and fish out temporarily until the silicone dries a bit.
Had to happen to me! :sad:

Last edited:

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
It also happened to me, however with a much smaller tank. Hopefully you will be lucky and the leak will be toward the top. You may not be able to tell exactly were it is leaking from but you may be able to get an idea. If at the top I would seal the entire perimeter. If a little lower on the side I would cover a few inches above and below where the leak is. Luckily you said it was a slow leak so it should seal somewhat easy.

Jonah2940

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
UK
Thanks for all the help guys.

Bit of a strange one. I got home from work today and the leak seems to have slowed right down or even stopped. There's no water on the floor and the water level in the tank hasn't dropped.

I'm still trying to work it out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

fishluver93

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
MN
i bet the leak WAS near the top, so when the water level went down, water didnt come out anymore! ;)

fishluver93

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
MN
oh man im dumb. yikes, you said the water level hasnt dropped. sorry, i cant help you! i only come up with SIMPLE ANSWERS! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store