Would a betta be good for cycling.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Using food to cycle a tank is just as apt to produce harmful bacteria as nitrifying bacteria. Stick to pure ammonia and avoid a host of problems. Given a betta's finnage, I don't think they would be the best choice for cycling a tank. Fishless is definitely the way to go, but if you do decide to go fish in cycling, I'd use the hardiest members of whatever you intend the final stocking to include. Tetras, guppies, barbs, danios, are all good choices.

kristielindsey

AC Members
Apr 1, 2011
K Thanks guys! I'm gonna give it another week or so to cycle. Test are all 0.. And Ph is now down to 7.5.. Ordered a new hood and light for my 30 gallon. It will be here next week. What filter would you recommend for this size tank? I know I will have 1 small goldfish, mollies, guppies and some mystery snails and I know that goldfish are high waste producers so I just want to get one that will be more than sufficient.

itsalltoomuch

AC Members
Apr 3, 2011
In a shoe
Real Name
George Harrison
I suggest you DO NOT get a goldfish. First of all, goldfish do not deserve to be in a tiny little 10 gallon tank! Get AT LEAST a 20 gallon for a goldfish and once it gets bigger you will have to move it. A "feeder" goldfish are normally comet goldfish and they can grow up to 10+ inches! If you really want to get fish then get two male guppies or something and see if they pull through. I don't think mollies are a good idea, either.

Another reason not to get a goldfish is that the feeder tanks are overcrowded and can have weird diseases or bacteria.... it's best to avoid that.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Using food to cycle a tank is just as apt to produce harmful bacteria as nitrifying bacteria. Stick to pure ammonia and avoid a host of problems. Given a betta's finnage, I don't think they would be the best choice for cycling a tank. Fishless is definitely the way to go, but if you do decide to go fish in cycling, I'd use the hardiest members of whatever you intend the final stocking to include. Tetras, guppies, barbs, danios, are all good choices.
:iagree: 100%

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
do you have any accessto used tank water, filter media, decorations,substrate, or aquarium plants? I always start my new aquariums by using as much used stuff as possible. Believe me! I started like 6 of my 7 tanks that way,lol, I always do that to cycle quick fast in a hurry,lol, and I don't think I've waited over a week each time, with no casualties. Also think of something like ramshorns bladder snails, ghost shrimp, as I have a two gallon (roundabouts) old rubbermaid drawer that I put in the backyard for the sole purpose of putting my excess duckweed in, and I guess a bladder snail made it in there. I haven't fed them crap, and for the love of god, the only water I top it off with is dirty nasty aquarium water, and they are friggin thriving way better than the ones in my tanks,lol, Yes they are breeding good in my tanks and all, but when I looked at the sides of the drawer about 3 wks after putting it outside, there are a kajillion of them crawling up the sides!!! I thought I had a high concentration in my tanks, but that thing definitely takes the cake! I don't think you can kill them!! (not to mention, you'll feel a little less guilty about putting those in there than you would if you got attached to your betta and found it dead one day. ) If you don't have any access to any thing from a well established tank from home, you can ask your lfs or pet store for some filter media from one of their tanks, and ask em also if they'll give you some pest snails, as I hear they'll give you the media and pest snails for free alot of the time.

kristielindsey

AC Members
Apr 1, 2011
Ummm itsalltoomuch,,, if you would read my post I said nothing about putting a goldfish in a ten gallon as I have already learned on my own was not a good idea.I appreciate your advice but would also appreciate if you would read my posts before commenting on them. My 10 gallon is doing great Still have the 2 mystery snails and I added 4 gold barbs (very small guys) yesterday. Along with a royal blue male Betta that in good conscience I could not leave in that little cup @ petco any longer. They were a little shy at first but this morning seem very happy. The Betta especially, not to mention it is awesome to watch him swim around and not just lay there. He is beautiful..

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
do you have any accessto used tank water, filter media, decorations,substrate, or aquarium plants?
Yes to the others, but there are few or no bacteria in the water column and all you're likely to add that wouldn't be in tapwater is nitrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store