Would it be wrong to surgically or genetically alter a fish to keep it small?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is it OK to surgically/genetically alter a fish for size?

• Yes, both are fine.

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Only surgically.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Only genetically.

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • No, both are wrong.

Votes: 51 55.4%

• Total voters

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I have plenty of space, I'm just saying what if you lived in the city or something?

Then you're either responsible and realize that you shouldn't really have pets that need more space than you can give them or you become one of those that don't care and do it anyways. It's ultimately your choice. People are always going to do what they want no matter if others think it's right or not.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I'd tell that cockroach to go back to his own house and sleep it off. Then I'd change the locks.

But seriously, don't mess with drunken cockroaches. They are mean drunks.
:rofl:You should see them after a night of snorting lines of that white borax powder that people use to keep them away!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Lets just agree to disagree, ok? Some people think its fine for genetically, other think its bad. I think its fine, genetically, but that doesn't mean you will too. So, lets agree to disagree. :)

jemaasjr

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
If you think of it, all domestic species of animals have been genetically altered, usually by a process of natural selection. Also, traditionally, a lot of fish have been kept artificially small by poor conditions or by diet. When I was a kid, I has some goldfish food that was 100% corn. (incomplete protein and less than 9% protein) We used to give the goldfish a little chopped lettuce on the side. Of course the fish didn't get all that big.

My attitude is that it is entirely acceptable that animals be put to use serving humans, as long as the servitude does not cause undue discomfort or pain.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
You know that isn't true! What would you do if you came downstairs in the middle of the night to get a drink, turned on the light and found your neighbor, who had in a state of drunkeness came into your home by mistake. And then how would you treat a Cockroach that you found by the same means?
:nilly:
Agreed.

Wow I just thought of something, Get a bigger tank.
You have contributed just about nothing to this thread. If you have an opinion, by all means say it, but seriously....
I'd tell that cockroach to go back to his own house and sleep it off. Then I'd change the locks.

But seriously, don't mess with drunken cockroaches. They are mean drunks.
....*tries to think of something to say but fails*....
Then you're either responsible and realize that you shouldn't really have pets that need more space than you can give them or you become one of those that don't care and do it anyways. It's ultimately your choice. People are always going to do what they want no matter if others think it's right or not.
That's a good point.
:rofl:You should see them after a night of snorting lines of that white borax powder that people use to keep them away!
Ok, it's not Courtney Love.
Lets just agree to disagree, ok? Some people think its fine for genetically, other think its bad. I think its fine, genetically, but that doesn't mean you will too. So, lets agree to disagree. :)
Thank you, FF! Completely true.
If you think of it, all domestic species of animals have been genetically altered, usually by a process of natural selection. Also, traditionally, a lot of fish have been kept artificially small by poor conditions or by diet. When I was a kid, I has some goldfish food that was 100% corn. (incomplete protein and less than 9% protein) We used to give the goldfish a little chopped lettuce on the side. Of course the fish didn't get all that big.

My attitude is that it is entirely acceptable that animals be put to use serving humans, as long as the servitude does not cause undue discomfort or pain.
That's a very good point. Thank you.

Guys, I really didn't mean to make everyone so hot-headed about this. I would never actually do any of that, and I was really just trying to provoke interest. I sincerely hope that nobody has any new negative opinions about anybody else due to this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store