Would this be too much water movement?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I am thinking of replacing a couple of my in powerheads with a Tunze Turbelle Stream Pump 6060. I was wondering is the product really great and is over 1000 gph too much current for a 55 gallon tank? On the other hand would a Oscillating powerhead or wavemaker work just as well?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
With 1000, GPH, you've got about 18x turnover pere hour. Gennerally, 10x per hour is the min. amount of flow for fish only, and about 20x per hour is the min. if you want/have a reef tank. So, no, it's not too much flow, I'd actually add more if possible.

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I must have been way off in my calculating I thought 55 gallons need to be 550 gph. I am missing something in the math department. Anyway it is not my only flow. there is the sump return and a giant corner PH. I wanted to remove the ugly smaller units. But if I need way more current than 1000 gph is not too much. Just need to figure which would be a better unit.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
depending on what corals you keep you should have plenty of water movement. 20x turnover per hour should be good for medium flow corals. i currently turn my water over about 23x per hour in my 75 gallon reef and its doing great. if money isnt an issue than the more water flow is generally better. i wish i could add another mag 7 to my tank without having to do some major rearranging but oh well, things are good now. HTH

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
My 20g reef tank has a turnover rate of about 600gph, but I'm doing it with 4 different pumps at various depths and angles. I make sure there are lots of openings in the rock work and watch how the corals respond to adjust the direction and force of the flow. I think that using several, strategically placed pumps gives you more "realistic" current and circulation for the tank.

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Well I opted for the Tunze 6060 with a output of just below 1600 gpg. These are suppose to be the best powerheads. After I ordered it I went home and looked at what I already have. My most powerful PH is about 600 gph and I can not put any softies within the direct flow for at least 2.5 feet. I hope I did not overshoot this 6060 which is almost 2.5x more powerful my tank is only 4 feet long, my small fish will be caught in a rip-tide and knock over all my frags. Any ideas on how to diffuse the current if too high, this model is not speed controlled.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I experimented with placing pumps at various levels, aiming at liverock or deflecting off of the glass....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store