Would this be unwise? keeping something i caught fishing w/ storebought fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Well, the problem with trading them in is that you've exposed them to whatever parasites/diseases the bg/ps is a carrier for. Either get another tank for the tropicals you have or destroy them. DO NOT trade them to a pet shop.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
It might be illegal to keep a game fish like that in a tank. This sort of thing varies by state. You should check your state's regulation.

And bluegills grow pretty big and active. You will eventually need a large tank for it. You definitely should never consider releasing a fish like that which you have kept with aquarium fish, because it could pick up unusual diseases or parasites which would then get into your local waterways.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
there is another thread I recall where someone did add pumpkinseed/BG to their tank & it eventually released white worms. they treated with parasite clear & no luck, so they want to dump it back. + now their own fish have to be infected.

so one risks introducing foreigners to your tank. even after QT for weeeks may not rid them unless u treat with some strong meds, b ut then again the new fish may not seem sick & are use to b eing carriers, until they get in to your tank.

hope u get my drift learn from others' mistakes. keep em separate.

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
It might be illegal to keep a game fish like that in a tank. This sort of thing varies by state. You should check your state's regulation.

And bluegills grow pretty big and active. You will eventually need a large tank for it. You definitely should never consider releasing a fish like that which you have kept with aquarium fish, because it could pick up unusual diseases or parasites which would then get into your local waterways.
I'm looking states regulations up.

Well, the problem with trading them in is that you've exposed them to whatever parasites/diseases the bg/ps is a carrier for. Either get another tank for the tropicals you have or destroy them. DO NOT trade them to a pet shop.
havent got the native fish yet, so my tropicals are still "clean" per say.

there is another thread I recall where someone did add pumpkinseed/BG to their tank & it eventually released white worms. they treated with parasite clear & no luck, so they want to dump it back. + now their own fish have to be infected.

so one risks introducing foreigners to your tank. even after QT for weeeks may not rid them unless u treat with some strong meds, b ut then again the new fish may not seem sick & are use to b eing carriers, until they get in to your tank.

hope u get my drift learn from others' mistakes. keep em separate.
yeah, i am probably going to get rid of the tropicals and go with the natives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store