Would this return pump be fine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
What's 3/4 of a return? And why not feed the sump with the drain?

Just based on the pump curve you should be getting about 1200 GPH... Do you need more or less flow than that?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
the sump is fed with the drain but there is a refugium also in my sump that requires a feed from my return pump.... as far as more flow that i'm not sure about this is my first saltwater tank
As far as flow through the sump, that ammount of flow is fine... However I would add a powerhead (maybe something around 300-500 GPH) in the main tank, as 1200 GPH puts you on the low end of the spectrum for a FO tank (you can get by with it) but for a reef your looking at about twice that ammount.

Generally, the more flow you can put in your main tank, and the better that flow is spread out, the healthier your tank will be (unless inhabitants get damaged or bothered by the flow, usually this will only be a probably for certain corals. This is because more detritus (food, fish expletives, etc.) will make it into the skimmer where it will be removed, instead of rotting in the tank then going through the whole Ammonia - nitrite - nitrate cycle

I personally can't think up a reason as to why you can't split off your drain line to feed the fuge... Is there one?

torontoleafs_ro

Noob Reefer
Oct 12, 2007
GTA area Ontario, Canada
i have 2 x 1200gph koralia for the main tank i just want to make sure that pump is going to be fine for tank... what are your thoughts on that the reason i want to feed the fuge from the return line is because that is what the sump manufacturers recommended . pic is enclosed of what they sent me. Let me know what you think

Saline Solutions Sump.jpg

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
What is the overflow rated? I'm guessing from the diagram that it has 1 x 1" drain going into the sump. If that's the case, the overflow would be rated at ~600 gph if I'm not mistaken. A 1200 gph return pump would be too powerful then (the pump would be pumping out the return water faster than the sump was filling), so that is probably why the return line is split with one line going back into the sump.

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
You are right, I did miss the second overflow. 2 x 1" drains should give 1200 gph , so that return pump should work. I can't think of any good reason then to split the flow back to the sump, unless it is to fine tune the return flow in case the pump is pumping slightly faster than the drains are draining. You would need a valve on the line going back to the sump, and either keep it closed or open it slightly to adjust the flow if the pump is too powerful. It looks like there is a valve in the diagram, so if you go this route, try keeping that valve closed initially and see how the flow balances out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store