Would this tank be overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I would stick the platy in your main tank now :) and let the black moor stay in that tank itself and I'd personally take the person up on their offer for the black moor :) Good luck!

cwinzinger

AC Members
Dec 28, 2010
well yes even with a great filter a fish should have about a gallon to every inch of its size unless it is salt water then it is 5 gallons to every inch in its size hope this helps

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
well yes even with a great filter a fish should have about a gallon to every inch of its size unless it is salt water then it is 5 gallons to every inch in its size hope this helps
The inch per gallon "Rule" is pretty much completely false.

cwinzinger

AC Members
Dec 28, 2010
well it is not true if you want to keep them there for a short time but using that rule for a fish tank filled with fish that you intend to keep you will have much happier fish and i have noticed that if you breed live bearers and use that rule you tend to get larger and much more healthy drops of fry

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
well it is not true if you want to keep them there for a short time but using that rule for a fish tank filled with fish that you intend to keep you will have much happier fish and i have noticed that if you breed live bearers and use that rule you tend to get larger and much more healthy drops of fry
Actually it is completely false in pretty much every circumstance. Look at it this way, would you keep a ten inch fish in a ten gallon? The fish would have a lot of trouble turning around. Or would you keep five one-inch zebra danios in a five gallon aquarium? Zebra danios are very active and it is commonly accepted that you need a ten to twenty gallon aquarium minimum for any number of zebra danios due to their activity and need for swimming space. These are just a couple of the countless circumstances where the inch per gallon rule does not work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store