Would you drink the water in your tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldnt. I've gotten really good at starting they syphons, i hate changing the water in my BW tank... so salty...

jpsracing

AC Members
Jun 21, 2001
NO!

And why the heck would you ever have to suck the end of a gravel vac hose to get it going? :confused: Just immerse the vac and hose under water except for about 5 inches of the hose and cap that end with your thumb. Take that end and stick it in a bucket on the floor and release your thumb and the flow will start.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
NO!

And why the heck would you ever have to suck the end of a gravel vac hose to get it going? :confused: Just immerse the vac and hose under water except for about 5 inches of the hose and cap that end with your thumb. Take that end and stick it in a bucket on the floor and release your thumb and the flow will start.
or...fill the hose at the tap first. Even easier IMHO

and NO , I wouldnt drink my tank water. Have swallowed a few brine shrimp while sucking 'em up into a hose...yukkk...

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Got a partial mouthful when I was doing my weekly water change. Yeah, I was in a hurry and didn't do it my usual way (filling up the tube, thumb on end, etc.) Immediately spat the water out into the bucket, gagged at the thought of what was in the water, kept the siphon going, and ran for the bathroom to wash my mouth out. Surprisingly, it didn't taste like anything but I still feel sick recalling it.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
:nilly::nilly::nilly: I had some splash in my eye the other day when I was scrubbing part of the filter with a little brush. *shiver* :nilly::nilly::nilly:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
When I have other options to choose from no I wouldn't drink from my tank water serious health risk I would think.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Ew. Y would some one?? Yeah it could be clean enough. I just use some prime and baking soda in mine. My fish do... fine? No rhyming intended.

I dunk the large end and pick it up high and then dunk it back into the water while it's running out the hose end out of the window. That's only for tanks with no small inhabitants besides snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store