Would you drink the water in your tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Yeah but I didn't SWALLOW it!!! :barf:

Actually it's hardly ever an issue since I discovered that you only have to suck the water within like 4"-6" maybe of the end for it to drain real good! Keep your eye on the job and no unexpected mouthfuls :D

I'm with the majority on this one, NO WAY would I willingly EVER drink water from the tank - and it's newly set up!! The thought of 'Stinky the Cycling Shrimp' decomposing in there is enough to completely gross me out...
I'm afraid any comments I would make here would get me banned, so I must pass with a simple LMAO. ;)

Mabowden

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
I guess the my real answer is how many beers I'm set back, and how much I'm getting paid.

:D

I rarely turn down bets/dares, so yes, I would drink the water out of my tank.

I've done worse.:FIREdevil:

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
if you have a heavily planted freshwater tank the water is probably a lot safer to drink then you tap water. Water plants (hyacinth) are used as filters for public water systems. Someone must know something huh? Someone said their cat drinks it. Well, pets are good indicators for water quality. They will not drink bad water unless it is absolutely necessary.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
No, for many reasons including alot of those cited above. And I never have to suck on the tube to get my siphon/python going, either. Use common sense .. . . . . .

Druu

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
I'd have a few sips of water from a 5 gal that's only got plants and gravel in it. Would not drink from the tank housing fish.. Although my roommate did. We were doing a water change and instead of doing the pumping action recommended on the packaging, he wanted to start siphoning by mouth. He said it tasted fine, I didn't want to taste and prove him wrong.

michael.qian

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Normally I would never think of drinking water from my tank.

But chances are even if you do you won't get sick.

Once I was syphoning my filter and accidentally took a big mouthful, didn't want to spit it back into the tank of course and there wasn't a bucket anywhere, so I drank it, had no ill affects.

Taking the occasional gulp might even be good for your immune system.

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Most municipal and state water supplies have animal life (fish) in them and we all drink it!

If there were a major earthquake and all water supplies are interrupted, 'water', ('from my 55 gal plant tank) would be the least of my worries.

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
Only with an added tea bag

and some sugar

and maybe a lemon twist

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
no way.

although for people with discus tanks, i think it would be safe (provided they took proper care of their discus)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store