Would you guys help with my design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Im planning my setup right now, and I decided to model what I want to do in 3d to see any potential problems. This is close to being a scale model. Very close.
Water will drain from the top right of the DT causing a surface skimming action, it will go down through a filter sock(not in model) in the second tank, and flow over the baffle to my refugium. I have a skilter that will be going in this tank for the time being. From there it will gravity drain down to the next sump, the heater will be in here. Then you have the bubble trap, and a grow out tank, that will later be taken up by a really nice skimmer. A coralife turbo sea 1090 external pump will feed the squid and return to the tank via 4 3/4in bulkheads. Both drains will have durso pipes on them to battle gurgling.
I did not include things like ball valves, RO/Di, auto top off, or any reactors, but they will make it in there also.
The DT will be a standard 55 gallon, and the two sumps will be 10 gallons each. I have to use what I already have available.
What do you think? You see any problems?:help:

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Pretty complex. I don't see any blunders.

Good pump design precludes any sharp turn within 4 pipe diameters of the pump suction port.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks. Very good points. Ill make some adjustments and get back to ya tonight.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Made some updates from recommendations on here and another forum...progressed to stand and canopy. I used some existing models from the warehouse to model them.

What else can you all think of? You all have greatly helped me already is money and time savings.

No stand

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The plumbing looks sound. What I have my doubts about are the pump and the SCWD. I wouldn't hard plumb te SCWD inline, since they have a tendency to clog pretty rapidly, making it a hassle to try to fix it. I'd honestly skip it altogether and look for another alternative, like Oceansmotions (kinda expensive). While I can honestly say that I have not tried the Coralife TurboSea pumps, I can tell you what much of their other products are like. If it works fine for now, great, but be ever watchful. I am just not a fan of many (most) their pruducts.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have a fortune to spend on this setup. So for now, I have to do what I can afford.

The SCWD, and the turbo sea pump will have removable unions, and ball valves, so any part can be removed without a problem.

If you have a suggestion for a external pump that will give me alot of turnover for a good price lemme hear it. Im open to suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store