Wrinkled new growth on giant hygro

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
Does anybody know the cause of this?

It has been growing great in my tank up until about a week ago. I also have some small pinholes forming on the old growth - from what I understand indicates a potassium deficiency. I just started dosing flourish 2x/week, and I dose flourish iron 2-3x/week, have flourite substrate, and diy co2 with airstone. Its a 29 gal tank. Any ideas?

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Whats your lighting? to my understanding, hygro tends to need trimming quite often if not in adequate light, the bottom leaves tend to die off.

Got any pics?

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
Lighting is 96W of T5.

Attached are some pics showing the whole tank, a couple plants with the wrinkled leaves, and the pinholes forming on some leaves.

Thanks

IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1764.jpg IMG_1763.jpg

Last edited:

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I think you have Hygrophila corymboas var 'kompact'. I have that same exact plant and the leaves on mine tend to be wrinkly when they get closer to the surface (more light I'm guessing.)

aquaticforest

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2010
You need to dose Potassium. the regular flourish does not have potassium in it. Seachem has a flourish potassium as well. I have giat hygrow and had the same problem. Increased the amount of potassium I was dosing and the problem went away. You can remove the damaged leaves because even if you start dosing the potassium the damged leaves will not heal. So it is best to just emove them so the rest of the plant get all the nutrients.

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
I think you have Hygrophila corymboas var 'kompact'. I have that same exact plant and the leaves on mine tend to be wrinkly when they get closer to the surface (more light I'm guessing.)

Must be between this and the potassium. I did just replace one of my bulbs - so it could be the change in light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store