Xenia Scrubber

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I had actually considered this for a long time, but I don't feel like putting rubble in there for the Xenia to establish itself. Plus it'd get shaded out by the Chaetomorpha, since I don't thin it very often.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
Xenia works well, aiptasia works even better.
If anyone decides to use aiptasia in a sump to filter out micro nutrients/particles they should have a 30w UV steilizer attached to the uotput of the sump so not to spread aiptasia to the main system.

Aiptasia is very effective in this regard. Anthony Calfo has set-up and documented these before.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Thanks for the link, Grins. I've read about this previously and wondered how effective people have found it to be.

BTW, what did that light ever do to you that you're trying to scare it away? :grinyes:

Once I get the light scared away I'll do the same I think.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You know, now that I think of it, there was actually a study done years ago that proved this to begin with... I'll try to dig it up. It is funny how this stuff resurfaces after a while.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
A few things:

1. It would cost more. You'd need higher powered lights over your fuge to grow the stuff, so you'd need more bulbs and more electricity.

2. I think the first pictures are a little...misleading...although I don't think that's quite the right word. We all know our tanks go through natural cycled, algae being one of them...

3. I'm not sure if i buy that it really 'outcompeted' the chaeto for nutrients. That chaeto looked pretty sad in those pictures anyhow. The xenia will encrust over anything though, so if the chaeto was down on the rocks, or in a place where the xenia could grow over it, it might...but I'd have to see more than one instance of the battle to believe that the outcome was only based on xenia vs. macro.

3. Grins, I still don't think you've blue xenia. That stuff doesn't open and pulse the way that other xenia does...just kind of looks gnarled up for the most part. Red Sea Pulsing Xenia is often mistaken for the blue. I could be wrong, but your xenia looks exactly like my xenia, from the pictures I remember you posting a while back.

4. All that being said, that's a VERY cool fuge.

:)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I made the xenia look gnarled up to get a photo but you could be right.

And as for this guy's fuge, it is someone I know locally so I do trust that his experiences in doing the little experiement are what he really believes took place.

Damon, OT but when do we get the next video installment of the Beardies?

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
wow, this is so cool. Soon as I get a better light for my fuge, which I was planning on doing anyway, I'll definitely give it a try. Definitely prettier than chaeto anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store