XP3 Don't Work After Power Loss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
I have this incredibly annoying problem with both of my XP3s and it's starting to drive me nuts.

If I unplug the filter for any reason, or even if there is a short brownout, neither of my XP3s start again gracefully. They both make a grinding sound and there is no water flow whatsoever. The only way I can ever get them going again is to drain the water from the canister itself and re-prime it.

The odd thing is that this does not happen on my XP4. But it happens with both of my XP3s.

It's a pain in the butt to be sure. But my biggest concern is if there is short power outage while I'm at work. The motor could very well burn itself out by the time I get home.

Does anyone have a similar problem with their XP3? If so, were you able to solve it?

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
xp3 prime

Make absolutely sure that intake and outtake are not sucking air! My eheim used to do that all the time when the power was out and i had a diy intake and outtake and one of them were sucking a tiny bit of air. Just a thought

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
My XP3 used to do that. I cleaned the impeller and everything around the motor. Now it starts up instantly with no grinding.

icemanx23

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
Check the position of intake and output tubes. Are the canisters same level or below the tank? Make sure both intake and output tubes are fully submerged. I got the same problem with my china canister and the problem was solved once i get a tank stand and put the canister below the tank

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
My XP3 used to do that. I cleaned the impeller and everything around the motor. Now it starts up instantly with no grinding.
I'll take a look at that but they've been doing it since they were first connected. It's weird. It sounds like it needs priming but the canister is full. The only thing that seems out of the ordinary is that an air bubble appears in the intake hose as soon as the power goes out and the suction stops. There is never an air bubble when the filter is working as expected.

I will check things out a little later and report back.

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
Mine also did this right from the start and I thought it was normal for awhile. I never noticed an air bubble, but it didn't want to start after unplugging it. Mine also sounded like it needed to be primed and I tried to prime it through the top of the intake a couple times.....I still got the grinding (almost like sand in the impeller). Then after shaking, tipping it to the side, stopping and trying again it would finally start pumping. Now, after the cleaning, it starts right up. Try it, it can't hurt.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:) Make sure you chk the orientation of the intake & output hoses. They must not be too long. (no dip) As mentioned, clean impeller & well. When filling 'can' is done, just before you plug it in, tip it slightly (side/side - frt/bck) to release any trapped air. Plug it in & let it run a bit then pull the plug. Wait a few minutes & plug it back in, should pick up right where it left off. If not check all connections, make sure they're snug. Try it again. "T"

Fordtrannyman

Sharing Experience and Failures!
Apr 27, 2008
So. Cal.
Two concerns I had with my XP3:
1:Stopped picking it up by the motor housing. This affects the seal and sucks air or seeps. Both have happened.
2: Make sure the intake pieces are good and tight. Sipping water in creates tiny air bubbles and causes cavitation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store