Yabbies - Anyone keep them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swreefer

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Wow, no posts for a while and all of a sudden I don't exist on this board.:(

Anyway, I picked up a nice blue colored yabby and was wondering if anyone else kept these.

Let me know how they do in an aquarium.

Thanks.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
from the pics i've seen, yabbies have much heavier claws than the crayfish i have had recently. i brought this topic up once, because i saw an aussie movie about 2 screwed up cops taking an aborigine girl to jail, and all the stuff that goes wrong. at one point they are hungry so the prisoner goes diving in a muddy farm pond and come up with what i swore were slipper lobsters. but i must have missed the part where she cut the heads and claws off of them. must have just been 'yabbies'

perhaps crayfish down under get bigger than american varietys.

swreefer

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The Australian ones get much large than the regular ones you see in the stores. Roughly 10 inches and the claws are larger and heavier than typical crayfish. It's a darker blue than the tiny electric blue one that are usually for sale but has some nice red and orange colring as well. So far it seems to love algea wafers. It's in with larger fish and very quickly gets out of their way when they come too close to it.
It's a pretty crappy pic but if you click here you can see what it looks like. Not too bad for only $4.99 at the LFS.

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
I live in louisiana and crawfish are pretty much a staple here. On farms I have seen some really big crawfish, much bigger then the ones they sell at LFS. Usually those don't get sold for pets though because they are eaten first =P

Last edited:

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
ill load up this picture of my cousin and his mate with a monster

i will scan up this picture of my cousin and a mate of his i corght this in a damn over 10 meters deep in a bucket with old water lilly pods in it

any ay most yabbies ive seen get a variety of foods mostly meat/fleshy foods like misshed live foods like meal worns ,worms,fish,liver,beef heart and ive also seen then eat filter wooldont know if its bad or not but they have been known to eat plants or any vegataion you supply them with

picture will be here soon dont worry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store