Yellow Lab tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
i'm considering blue rams or bolivian rams instead because it seems they would be more comfterble in a smaller tank.

manyoumad

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'd be very careful about getting blue rams(ramirezi), ime. they are not that hardy and require particular care to be taken with water quality.

I have read about the hardier bolivians(altispinosus) living happily with yellow labs, but I would not risk it with blue's.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
I think i'm going to get a pair of bolivian rams and then get a couple of cories.

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
I have Yellow labs in my 90 gal with a lot of things that shouldn't work but some how they aren't killing each other. I noticed my green cories all got killed off even with ample hiding spots, my Scwartzii cory's on the other hand have been doing really well. I think it also depends the order you put your fish into the tank. I had my Yellow labs in near last so they knew they weren't on home turf and had to play nice.

I have a pair of Keyholes cichlids that are doing really well with the yellows and clown loaches, black ghost knife, varied schools of tetras, a common pl*co, oh and vicious tiger barbs (that are for some reason docile in my 90 gal but weren't in my other tanks)

Good luck :thm:

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
Can bolivian rams and yellow labs live together in peace?

hrm maybe i'll get a 40gallon and keep maybe 4 or 5 cories, 2 bolivian rams, and one yellow lab. that seems okay.. i dunno

what other malaki cichlids go along with the yellow labs? I've seen some blue ones but i'm not sure what kind they are because its hard to for me to remember all those latin names.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Like I said before, do either a community setup with some dwarf riverine cichlids OR a malawi setup.

Its not really good to keep a yellow lab (which is aggressive and thrives in high pH water - above 8.0 - and requires a more vegetarian diet) with 'community' fish. In a situation like that, someone is going to be living in an environment it really doesnt like, and eating the foods that arent good for it.

I love Malawi cichlids so of course I reccommend those, but they do require a lot more attention as to how you stock the tank, since so many species are not compatible. Try having a look here: http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_tank_recipes.shtml if you are seriously considering a Malawi tank.

:)
-Diana

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
my gf thinks the yellow labs look better than rams.. looks like i'll be getting yellow labs lol. I guess that takes cories out of the picture. But i like cories though lol they're so playful... too bad you can't keep them together.. bah,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store