Yellow Nose Red Bee shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Indeed. I hope they breed for you! :thumbsup:

PhaidOut

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
That is great, 7.50 may seem like a lot but it is a steal at today's prices. The price is high because they have not been widely available in the US and can be hard to keep and breed. They are typically not considered a beginner shrimp just like the rest of the Sulawesi shrimp. Nice shrimp though.

Most importantly you need warm water -82-86F. I don't know any of the Sulawesi shrimp that don't like it that warm. They also come from water where the pH is high - 8+. You should be fine down to the 7.4-7.5 range for at least keeping them from what I have heard. Still trying to get my hands on some of the cool Sulawesi shrimp...

Offer them different foods and see which they prefer. I am not sure what this particular type normally feeds on.

PhaidOut

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Some more I thought about... How long has this tank been setup? Like I said, I don't know this particular type; but many of them feed on Diatoms (brown algea). Actually most FW cardinia and neocardinia shrimp do to some extent but the Sulawesi shrimp can be very picky. If they come from the lakes, they come from habitats light on vegetation and nutrients - so you need a very well established tank with very low Nitrates - like 0. The problem you have in a planted tank if you have picky diatom feeders is that the plants out compete the diatoms for nutrients and you don't have a lot of diatoms. There are sources for them though.

There are some people here much more knowledgeable then me. I have not had hands on with them yet because I am not willing to drop hundreds and/or thousands of dollars on them. I don't have the time to research this particular type at the moment, but good luck. There is information out there and some very good hobbyists who may be willing to share information...

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Thanks for the info on them Phaid. I'm definitely going to do more research on them. The tank has been set up for a couple of years now, so there should be a good bit of biofilm in there. I've got liquid rock for water (very hard) so that should be good for them. It was recommended to try and feed them a mysis shrimp (I have the frozen PE mysis for my fish) so I'll see if they take that. I may attempt to set up a species tank for them, though it would take a while for it to establish.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Two of them were happily picking things off the driftwood to eat, so hopefully they're finding things they like in the tank. I'm hoping these guys are pretty hardy, seeing as they've survived a couple of weeks at the LFS.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Wow, and I thought RCS were pretty :clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store