Yellow Tang??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
clowns WILL eat greens like tangs do as ALL clowns are omnivores, my clown picks at the seaweed right along with the tangs as well as eat peas and lettuce.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
clowns WILL eat greens like tangs do as ALL clowns are omnivores, my clown picks at the seaweed right along with the tangs as well as eat peas and lettuce.
Hehe, so do mine. They eat the seaweed and anything else I throw in there, including greens.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
My clown and my bangai cardinals are the only ones who WON'T eat my algae sheets:)

Back to the topic of your tang - I'm afraid I've got to agree with the others. My Tang is 3.5 inches in a 60 (US) gal and she's too big for it and has been really aggressive towards my other fish and feather dusters.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sorry to butt in here, but there is a tang that I have been questioning on buying at my LFS for my 70 gallon. From what I read you suggest a larger tank..

However while this tang has a nice yellow around his head, dorsal fin, the center part of his belly appears to be white. Is this normal?

The user who started this thread, the picture of that tang doesn't look like that. Is this one sick? Diseased?

Sounds like you might have seen one with his fright stripe or night coloring showing. It happens when you first turn the lights on or they get stressed.

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
My tang doesn't seem at all stressed and is swimming around and eating quite happily without bullying any other fish. I have been feeding more often though as I was only feeding once although I am feeding smaller amounts. I will go out tomorrow and get some more different foods to add variety and will hopefully will be making my own frozen food too. If I kept him/her in this tank temporarily until I get a bigger tank would it be ok?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
or it could be the start of the tang getting HLLE...
I am not sure if it is HLLE. He seems to eat during feeding time and swims around the tank quite readily (not in a stressed out manner).. He does seem quite shy however and hides behind anything he can.

I wish I could get a shot of him, but like I said he has a tendency to hide unless you are "not looking directly at him".. He really is quite comical.

I was just wondering because her had a beautiful yellow coloring, and he has this area that is not really yellow.. It is and it isn't. Its hard to explain.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I am not sure if it is HLLE. He seems to eat during feeding time and swims around the tank quite readily (not in a stressed out manner).. He does seem quite shy however and hides behind anything he can.

I wish I could get a shot of him, but like I said he has a tendency to hide unless you are "not looking directly at him".. He really is quite comical.

I was just wondering because her had a beautiful yellow coloring, and he has this area that is not really yellow.. It is and it isn't. Its hard to explain.
A picture would certainly help on this matter..

Niko

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
V, just keep him for now just don't add anymore fish. clown-lover, just keep an eye on an overall condition and apetite of your tang and don't worry.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Yellow tangs are nice fish, mine, also named Bubbles, died on Sunday. I had him in a 56 gallon tank and he grew from 1" to 4" in just 3 months. We upgraded to a 90 gallon to make him happier, and to have a nicer looking tank. He loved it, but we don't know why he died (was fine, then just died randomly). Just plan on upgrading, and start saving up for it soon. I decided not to wait any longer, wish I could have had a 125 or 150 for a 6ft length but I have no where to put it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store