Yellow tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I Can name many sites that sell fish including vivid aquariums.com (one sponsor of reefcentral) and also live aquaria that suggest minimum size 50g. (and several others that suggest 50g minimum)
I know bigger is always better and might consider upgrading in the future.
I appreciate that mysis is not jumping down my throat at this.
When I see reputable sites saying 50g minimum, I did take it for face value.
I still am unsure, because alot of folks have told me he'll be just fine providing I do not introduce any more fish into the tank snd he remains the 'alpha' fish and I keep wate quality high.
So far its going well and he appears happy. If this changes, I'll do what's best for him.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Ok, yes the tang will be able to live, but i am sure it will not be at it's finest, to ensure good health, feed a varied diet with loads of vegetable matter in it, if you don't feed enough vegies to the tang, it can cause parasites, that look like red blotches. other than that, don't introduce other fish after the tang, that have either have similar body shape, or similar colour. for example, if you wanted a flame angel, it would have to be added first, because the body is similar to that of a yellow tang. other than that it's pretty straight forward. :)

Swimfins

Thanks Mysis, I do appreciate the advice. I've considered calling my lfs and asking if they'll take him in trade, (I'm sure they'd jump at the chance and sell him at an astronomical price, pretty fish that he is!)
I'll give it awhile and see. He's taking formula one flake now and I've clipped some lettuce to a rock which he tugs at occasionally but likes to poke his noes in between the polyps for macroalgae that might be more tasty?
I'l get some nori from the Chinese food vendors (lucky I live in an ethnic neighborhood). :)

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Just make sure no seasoning or any additives are added to the nori, or it could meen bye bye YT. you know what i mean :)

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
Two little fishes has some very good algae product in green red and brown. I vary the algae I give my tangs. Maybe you can get the tang and make a pact with all of us on AC that you will try to get a bigger tank ;)

Swimfins

Do you thnk ten more gallons of water (75) and a foot more swimming space will really make him all that much happier? I've been thru this a zillion times (sigh) and won't make any pact. Nope. Thanks anyway.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
LOL, if you were going to get a bbigger tank, why would you go 10 gallons more? I'm hearing 8 footer!!! LOL

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I'd say you could keep it in the 75 for life. You could probably go as small as a 55, but as you said, bigger is always better. :dive2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store