yellow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaroonClown

Registered Member
Dec 18, 2002
Searcy, AR
Visit site
75 is fine for a yellow tang, especially if it is a small one. We get good tiny yellow tangs in our store all the time that are tank raised, and are real small. Small enough even for almost a 29. In my 75 I have a purple, somewhat larger... and a small yellow. (I know your not supposed to combine tangs of the same family but they are doing fine). anyhow, thats my opinion.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
you dont stock on the size the fish currently is, you stock your tank on how big the fish will eventually reach.

Tangs are extremely active swimmers, and dont stake out territory like most fish do. Hence they are poor subjects for smaller aquariums.

There are people out there with 120 gallon tanks (4x2x2) and they need to return the yellow tangs because they feel they are too big for the tank.

Personal experience only counts if it has been duplicated many times. Saying I have had a tang for a year in a 75 means relativily little.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Also any tang that is in the same family can not be combined for the same reason as triggers. Triggers can be combined if different species and different color patterns, shape, etc. But a Huma and a Huma Rectangular may fight here and there when young, but as they grow the fights will get more and more bloody. Just because your tangs are fine now, doesn't mean they will be fine in a matter of months let alone years. I do see your opinion slip, and for the most part do agree. Unfortunatly my mother put a yellow in here 75, even though I told her it wasn't smart (my dad was dying desperatly for a yellow tang-we have hundreds of fish, and he wanted the one we didn't have!). The same goes for Scats and am pleased that my three Silver Scats are happy in their new 209G tank. Going from a 55 (the biggest is 4 inches) to the new tank, they are very happy. As to the question about mixing tangs, at the lfs I work at people are always trying to squeeze "one more" in their tank even if it won't work. It is definetly frustrating being told no to something you really want but it is much better for the fish. Sorry but no more than one tang per tank (in my opinion) unless you have a 200+. Sorry!

jonah

new old member
Dec 1, 2002
Oklahoma
petsforum.com
Originally posted by slipknottin

There are people out there with 120 gallon tanks (4x2x2) and they need to return the yellow tangs because they feel they are too big for the tank.
Give us names so we can verify how true that is. What else was in the tanks? Are you one of them? If they require that much space we shouldn't keep them at all.

If you take a fish that normally swims for miles and put him in a 10 foot tank I don't think he'll be any happier about it than he would be in a 4 foot tank.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I dont see how you can say a fish would be just as happy in a 4ft tank as a 10 ft one. If thats the case then why shouldnt we be able to keep tangs in 1ft tanks? Compared to the ocean its about the same size as a 10ft tank.. :rolleyes:

I dont have the site bookmarked, ill find it soon though.

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
Scott,
You will get very intense argurments on both sides of the issue regarding tank size for tangs. These fish seem to evoke strong feelings in SW fish keepers. FWIW I have kept a 3" hippo tang in my 50 gal for 7 months now.(ducks) I'm not saying this is an ideal situation but so far I have not had any issues with this fish which supposedly is a magnet for Ich and HIH disease. My hippo is healthy and seems happy. I plan on upgrading my tank to a 150 or 180 during the next 12 months so I do have a plan for the future of this fish which I have seen grow to about 14" in captivity. Just thought I'd add my tiny amount of personal experience to this discussion.
Brian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store